Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows on Macbook Pro

I installed Windows on my Macbook Pro (15 " Retina). The resolution is the highest - 2880-by-1800. However, the font size is too small to read properly. There is a setting in Windows for Small, Med or Large and I verifed it is set to Large.

One more question. Do I need to install third party anti-virus software with Windows? I was told Mac OS does not need any.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 10:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 10:22 PM

GAB449 wrote:

I installed Windows on my Macbook Pro (15 " Retina).

bootcamp or a virtual machine?

Do I need to install third party anti-virus software with Windows?

yes, I would. The mac os doesnt need any, but windows does.

10 replies

Oct 7, 2013 10:50 PM in response to shldr2thewheel

Hi, I plan to install Window on my Macbook Pro too, cos I'll need to use AutoCad software and i think Mac is not support for this software... so no choice, Anyway, many of my friends advice me to do it with bootcamp, they say this will be more stable and easy for me since i'll run only 1 software in Mac and others will still remain with Mac OS, Is that true that it is better to run Window with bootcamp?

Oct 8, 2013 6:08 AM in response to GAB449

In Windows change the screen resolution to one that works well for you.

Which Windows version did you install? Your tags say Windows 7 and Windows 8. If you installed Windows 7 you need an anti virus program. Microsoft Security Essentials will be enough. If you installed Windows 8, anti virus is built-in and no additional anti virus is required.

Oct 8, 2013 8:27 PM in response to Rudegar

Thanks for all the replies. Choosing another resolution does not make it any better. Only adds black borders all around and the desktop height and width gets smaller. Other than that, font size, etc. remains the same. I used bootcamp 5.something. I am assuming it is the latest. BTW, I have set "Change size of all items" to 200%, which is the highest.

Mar 18, 2014 5:51 PM in response to GAB449

Mate, the ideal resolution is the one originally set. But as you've commented, the text gets too small to be readable. The configuration that I just set is 1440 x 900, and then I set the windows configurations to make things look smaller. This way it looks like an ordinary screen.

By the way, working on this configuration the graphics run a little bit smoother, and the animations are faster. The battery consumption apparently got better. This combination is perfect, and it looks better than Windows 8 (which does not provide you with any configurable resolution that may compare to that on Windows 7).

Hope it helped!!!!

Windows on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.