Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 13 inch creaking sound

I have recently bought a MacBook Air 13 inch from Apple. Whenever I pick it up, the left side of it creaks. It's as if the back panel isn't tight or something may be a bit loose inside. Any thoughts/suggestions ?

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 10:17 AM

Youre likely picking it up ONE HANDED.😊

In so doing youre letting the whole weight of the macbook droop on one side a hair, and the bottom plate is creaking a hair from the stress of same.

youre picking it up on the right side, the left side will creak,..........or likewise if you pick it up from the other side

grab it in the middle or with both hands.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2013 10:17 AM in response to Shane Kenny

Youre likely picking it up ONE HANDED.😊

In so doing youre letting the whole weight of the macbook droop on one side a hair, and the bottom plate is creaking a hair from the stress of same.

youre picking it up on the right side, the left side will creak,..........or likewise if you pick it up from the other side

grab it in the middle or with both hands.

Oct 8, 2013 11:36 AM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Thanks man 🙂 Yeah it creaks more when I lift it with hand, but it still creaks with a two handed lift as well (hands in the middle of the laptop so to evenly disperse the pressure). It's a solid state model meaning none of the internal components should be moving, which means it could just be the the back panel is slightly loose ? Tighten the screws with a pentalobe screw driver ?

Oct 8, 2013 12:28 PM in response to Shane Kenny

Yes, i know what the Air is, Ive taken them apart and owned 3 of them, currently own one.

you could test to see any single screw is loose on the bottom plate.

that alloy-on-alloy creak is normal. Mine does the same if i pick it up at a point for the weight to leverage against the tight fitting bottom plate. Doesnt mean anything. 😊

nothing internal is creaking, its bottom-plate squeak from rubbing against the main chassis. 😊

MacBook Air 13 inch creaking sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.