Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a power off situation after upgrading memory on a late 2006 black macbook. I have reinstalled pressing very hard and even re-installed the original memory to no avail. Any helpful suggestions?

I have a 'power off' situation after upgrading the memory on a macbook. I have reinstalled using as much pressure as possible and also reinstalled the original memory but all to no avail. I am assured that the memory from cucial is correct. Totally stuck - can anyone help. It is a late 2006 back macbook.

MacBook, iOS 6, black late 2006 macbook

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 6:21 AM

1 reply

Oct 8, 2013 11:24 AM in response to murraypakes

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

1. It IS possible to press too hard or wiggle too much and cause damage to the 'memory slots' inside the computer. Apple memory slides 'straight-in', parallel to the outer case surface, (and not at an angle, then snapping into place, as many PC memory cards do). If a RAM module was forced in 'backwards', damage might have happened, and there is no easy fix, because the connectors inside are soldered to system board.

2a. It is possible that the replacement memory, even memory purchased direct from Crucial, is not the correct spec for your computer.

2b. It is possible that the replacement memory is defective.

However... IF either of these cases occurred, I would expect that replacing the original memory would restore 'normal' operation, and that obviously did not happen.

3. Even though not indicated (by the Apple info in the following link), in one instance, I needed to reset the NVRAM/PRAM (multiple times in a row, actually) for a new configuration of compatible RAM to be properly recognized. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

4. An SMC reset, also not indicated as likely to help your problem, would not hurt.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

5. It is possible that you slightly dislodged the hard disk drive from it's connector. The hard drive slides out to the right/in to the left, when your battery compartment is open and the 'L'shaped metal cover is removed. And too much force could also damage the hard drive connector.

I have a power off situation after upgrading memory on a late 2006 black macbook. I have reinstalled pressing very hard and even re-installed the original memory to no avail. Any helpful suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.