Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

today I have been getting emails saying that I sent out a bunch of emails that all got returned to me but I never sent these emails so I'm guessing someone is using my account. I changed my password is this all I need to do or is this a bug that I need t

Today I started getting returned mail that I never sent.

I changed my password ... will this fix this situation?

Or do I need to get rid of some kind of bug?

I'm thinking someone got a hold of my info and is using my account so I'm hoping that changing my password is all I need to do?

thank you

iPhone 4S, Windows 7, cant get iphone 4 to sink my comput

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 7:36 AM

Sounds like your email was hacked, change your password amd make a strong one alpha, numeric, symbols, upper and lower case, as many characters as you can possilby live with (the more the better)

You should also let your provider know, this happened to me a long time ago, I redid a strong password and has not been an issue since.

You can do a web search on email spoofing and you will find a lot of info explaining it.

Hope this helps

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2013 7:36 AM in response to julyartist1

Sounds like your email was hacked, change your password amd make a strong one alpha, numeric, symbols, upper and lower case, as many characters as you can possilby live with (the more the better)

You should also let your provider know, this happened to me a long time ago, I redid a strong password and has not been an issue since.

You can do a web search on email spoofing and you will find a lot of info explaining it.

Hope this helps

Oct 8, 2013 7:53 AM in response to julyartist1

While breaking into your email account at your ISP isn't out of the question, far more often than not is that your email address is being spoofed by a spammer, or someone you know running Windows has been hit by one of many email viruses that automatically send out emails from their computer to everyone in their list and randomly choose of of the addresses in their address book as the "sender".

With spoofing, spammers pick any ol' known good address from a list of thousands, or millions at their disposal, and then send out tons of various pieces of spam with that address as the sender. They only do it for a few days or so to prevent automated systems from blacklisting that address, then some other victim's address becomes their next "sender". The return mails are from the server's they send the spam to that are dead accounts. The non deliverable message comes back to you rather than the spammer because your name is in the sender field. There's nothing you can do about this. The spammers will move on to another address and the flood of returned messages you never sent will stop.

For email virus issues, any persons you know running Windows who would also have your email address in their contact list would need to check for and remove any viruses that may be on their system.

today I have been getting emails saying that I sent out a bunch of emails that all got returned to me but I never sent these emails so I'm guessing someone is using my account. I changed my password is this all I need to do or is this a bug that I need t

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.