Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting email accounts?

I just got a Mac Air to replace my MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard), and am "scrubbing" the Pro before selling it to a friend. How do I delete my email accounts from the Pro without affecting the same accounts on my Air?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 7:25 AM

You just Delete the account on the MBP. Deleting an account on one system has no effect on any other system, computer, phone or pad.

But what you are doing isn't necessary so to speak. What you should do is erase and or repartition the drive as one partition and reinstall OS X. You can not sell or give away a Mac with one of the Download only version of OS X, Lion or Mt Lion, IF that Mac came with an earlier version of OS X on it when it was new. If you upgrade OS X from an early version to one of the Download only versions that version of OS X is Tied to Your Apple ID and can not be transfered to another person. And if you upgrade from Lion to Mt Lion you have to reinstall Lion before you can sell it or give it away. Again upgrading to Mt Lion from Lion Mt Lion is Tied to Your Apple ID not the machine.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2013 7:25 AM in response to WinthropMac

You just Delete the account on the MBP. Deleting an account on one system has no effect on any other system, computer, phone or pad.

But what you are doing isn't necessary so to speak. What you should do is erase and or repartition the drive as one partition and reinstall OS X. You can not sell or give away a Mac with one of the Download only version of OS X, Lion or Mt Lion, IF that Mac came with an earlier version of OS X on it when it was new. If you upgrade OS X from an early version to one of the Download only versions that version of OS X is Tied to Your Apple ID and can not be transfered to another person. And if you upgrade from Lion to Mt Lion you have to reinstall Lion before you can sell it or give it away. Again upgrading to Mt Lion from Lion Mt Lion is Tied to Your Apple ID not the machine.

Oct 8, 2013 12:06 PM in response to LowLuster

Thanks! I'm selling the Pro to a good friend who's getting it for his daughter -- he's receiving it with the Snow Leopard original OS, and he'll be upgrading it to whatever - probably Maverick! - for his daughter. He's also going to be getting every single thing that came with the computer...he's a Mac pro, so I think it will be fine. Thanks again. I'm off to delete!

Deleting email accounts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.