Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is final cut pro stabilization out of date? Worse than youtube?

Is final cut pro stabilization out of date? Because I've uploaded an unstabilized video to youtube just for fun, but to my surprise youtube started stabilizing the footage automatically and it does a lot of a better job than the stabilization in FCPX. Do others have this experience as well?

Am I not using FCPX's stabilization correctly? I thought it's just checking the box and then putting the sliders to max? Are there third party stabilization I should use with FCPX?

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 8:18 AM

It's not bad, but it's not the best out there. Motion ($50) gives you more control. Warp Stabilizer in After Effects probably has a lot of fans, but it will cost you.

Russ

9 replies

Oct 8, 2013 8:28 AM in response to Russ H

Russ H wrote:

… but it's not the best out there. Motion ($50) gives you more control. …

can you elaborate this in a few (for me:simple) words, Russ?

… thought, there's no differences.

about YouTube:

Read an article about YTs technique - it uses some-kind of 3D-representation of the frames content; so, it stabilizes 'perspective' too, what a flat x/y-axis algorithm can't.

Oct 8, 2013 8:39 AM in response to aapl.crox

Motion is available in the App Store. Take a look at this article this artiicle about its stabilization capabilities.

For a more comprehensive look at Motion, take a look at the tutorials on MacBreak Studio and Creative Cow.

After Effects is available for "rent" from Adobe. As I recall the single app price is $1/mo @19/month but I could be wrong. You wouldn't need to use Premiere. You'd stabilize the clip and export it; then import into FCPX.

Russ

Message was edited by: Russ H to correct link

Oct 8, 2013 9:22 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Karsten Schlüter wrote:

Russ H wrote:

… but it's not the best out there. Motion ($50) gives you more control. …

can you elaborate this in a few (for me:simple) words, Russ?

… thought, there's no differences.

about YouTube:

Read an article about YTs technique - it uses some-kind of 3D-representation of the frames content; so, it stabilizes 'perspective' too, what a flat x/y-axis algorithm can't.

That is amazing technology, I didn't know youtube is so sophisticated! Do you know if there's a way to get this technology into FCPX?

Oct 8, 2013 9:36 AM in response to aapl.crox

aapl.crox wrote:

… Do you know if there's a way to get this technology into FCPX?

Upload to YT, let it stabilize,download the final product 😁

Aside 'some' quality loss, due to heavy back'n forth compressing, this would be teh only option, which comes to my weird mind.

Any sort of 'Digital Stabilzing' in post-production should always be the last option - use cameras with good optical stabilzers (Panasonic, Sony), use a tripod, use at last a monopod… !

… what I'm fancy of is 'active gimbals', brand-name MöVI:

MōVI: The Burton Session on Vimeo

Is final cut pro stabilization out of date? Worse than youtube?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.