Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse stopped working on certain normal surfaces ... even a mousepad!

My Magic Mouse (Model A1296 3Vdc) has been excellent for over a year. However, I have had trouble with it lately. It only seems to work on certain surfaces where before it would work on nearly any surface (except of course for glass).

Since the trouble started a week or so ago, my mouse will work on the aluminum case of the MacBook beside the trackpad. It will work on a semi-glossy magazine cover. It works on my black leather wallet.

It will NOT work on:

• a mousepad (a Fellowes product with a gray fabric surface)
  • denim (the leg of my jeans)
  • a textured vinyl tablecloth
  • a black semi-gloss sketchbook

To make matters more interesting, I have access to my dad's Magic Mouse (same model number) and paired it with my MacBook. It works flawlessly on all of the surfaces that my mouse does not work on. I have tried my dad's batteries in my mouse. I have used compressed air and a microfiber cloth to clean out the battery compartment and sensor area. I've tried re-pairing my mouse. There has been no change in performance. The App Store tells me there are no updates for my system.

I don't want to waste time on guessing whether my mouse will work on normal mouse surfaces. I need to either fix this mouse or replace it. Do you have any ideas?

Apple Magic Mouse (A1296 3Vdc)-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2017 10:03 AM

Had the same issue with Logitech M510 wireless mouse. Logitech fix that worked was to:

1. Put/leave the mouse on/off switch on the bottom to "ON" position.
  2. Remove old batteries.
  3. Rapidly click left mouse switch for 20 seconds (no batteries and mouse on/off switch "ON" position).
  4. Move on/off switch on bottom to "OFF"
  5. Reinstall new fresh alkaline batteries.
  6. Move on/off switch on the bottom to "ON".

The mouse should now work normally on almost any surface.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2017 10:03 AM in response to AJDesignCo

Had the same issue with Logitech M510 wireless mouse. Logitech fix that worked was to:

1. Put/leave the mouse on/off switch on the bottom to "ON" position.
  2. Remove old batteries.
  3. Rapidly click left mouse switch for 20 seconds (no batteries and mouse on/off switch "ON" position).
  4. Move on/off switch on bottom to "OFF"
  5. Reinstall new fresh alkaline batteries.
  6. Move on/off switch on the bottom to "ON".

The mouse should now work normally on almost any surface.

May 18, 2017 8:00 AM in response to AJDesignCo

I know I'm a bit late to this party, but I had a similar problem where my mouse just stopped working on my black mousepad. I was able to fix it by deleting a few corrupt preference files quick. In finder, click on the GO menu and select "Go to folder". Put ~/Library/Preferences/ in the address bar and hit enter. Find the following 2 files and delete them:

com.apple.AppleMultitouchMouse.plist

com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist

mouse should work fine again!

I hope this works as easily for all of you as it did for me.

Oct 4, 2017 11:33 AM in response to AJDesignCo

My magic mouse sometimes behaves erratically too. My MacBook Pro is on a table behind where I sit, and my Logictech wireless keyboard (not bluetooth), mouse and screen are in front of me.

It occurred to me that the problem could be related to blue tooth transmission, because when i turn around and use the magic mouse right next to the MacBook, it works fine. So when my mouse starts behaving erratically, I now roll my desk chair (and me) out of line of sight between my mouse and my MacBook until the connection is reestablished.

Further, it occurred to me that if the blue tooth signal could somehow be directed to send more signal to the MacBook, that might improve the situation. So I replaced my mousepad with a small metal Altoids box, and that seemed to help a bit. I would love if some graduate student in an EE lab could investigate if this is somehow improving the blue tooth signal.

Nov 11, 2013 8:28 AM in response to AJDesignCo

I have this very same issue. I was using my mouse on my bare desktop and noticed it started getting less responsive. So I would move it to another area on my desk and it seemed better. I thought that I was "shining" up the desk using it in the same spot. So I got the great idea to buy a mouse pad for optical mice. Guess what... doesn't work at all on the mouse pad!! So I borrowed my sons magic mouse and it works everywhere!! What the heck gives? They are the same model. They both appear clean where the IR sensors are. They both have fresh batteries. I would really like to know what the deal is here.

Mar 4, 2015 12:07 PM in response to AJDesignCo

I also experienced the same problem.

My mouse now only works on black surface like the back of mouse pad or the book with dark color warped with plastic. I think I have to find a new "black" mouse pad but I still wonder why the same old mouse pad that works every day stop working. The last time that I used the mouse before the problem happened was when I used a mouse on a magazine with purple color. Does the mouse censor got calibrated or something?

I tried cleaning the censor and it didn't help.

Magic Mouse stopped working on certain normal surfaces ... even a mousepad!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.