Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime 7 - White screen on export, but codecs are there.

So here's the deal:

I can open any format video and play as I normally would, but when I go to export, MOST formats I choose result in a video with only white (showing a codec issue) and good audio. I have FCP Studio installed, and all codecs are in the Quicktime folder.

This computer I just did a fresh install of 10.8, including Logic 9, Logic X, Adobe CC and FCP.

Again, I can PLAy an MP4, but if I try to export to MP4, i get a white video and good audio.

I tried uninstalling QT and re installed from the snow leopard installer.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 2x2.4GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon 20GB

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 1:28 PM

5 replies

Oct 8, 2013 2:26 PM in response to Matt@ads

I can open any format video and play as I normally would, but when I go to export, MOST formats I choose result in a video with only white (showing a codec issue) and good audio.

Please post specifics or samples of both the source and resulting files. What file type, audio compression format, and video compression format are you using for one specific, non-converting source file? What specific app are you using to transcode the file to an MP4 file? Which specific option are you using? Which form or MPEG-4 video are you targeting in which Profile at what Level, and at what data rate? Are you trying to multiplex any additional data to the MP4 container?

User uploaded file

Oct 8, 2013 6:00 PM in response to Jon Walker

Jon,

File types: So far exporting H264, MPeg4, DV HDV does not work, I haven't tested may others. Audio always works, so I've been disabling that option for testing. Specifically what settings? Lots of em, any of them. I've done about a dozen tests with each different format. Sizes, settings all different.

What file type am I converting from? H264, so far. I can try others. although I can play the files just fine.

I've tried a few H264 files, some exported from Final Cut, some from AVID, some from Premiere.)

I am not trying to multiplex at all, just convert H264, ideally to DV (or HDV)

Thanks

Oct 8, 2013 7:25 PM in response to Matt@ads

File types: So far exporting H264, MPeg4, DV HDV does not work, I haven't tested may others. Audio always works, so I've been disabling that option for testing. Specifically what settings? Lots of em, any of them. I've done about a dozen tests with each different format. Sizes, settings all different.

Are these "target" compression formats? (I.e., H.264 and MPEG4 are video compression formats—not file types and you state in the next paragraph that you are converting from H.264 content. Also wanted details regarding your specific workflow for one specific conversion attempt—not generalities. Are you using QT 7 Pro, FCP, Compressor, etc? Which app option? Etc., etc., etc.

What file type am I converting from? H264, so far. I can try others. although I can play the files just fine...

Once again, I was looking for specific information regarding a specific source file giving you problems. H.264 could refer to anything from Blu-ray 1920x1080 MPEG-4 AVC, High@L4.2 , CABAC, 22.6 Mbps content in an MKV file to a Flash MP4 file downloaded from the Internet.

I am not trying to multiplex at all, just convert H264, ideally to DV (or HDV)

The term "multiplexing" can also refer to the process of storing or wrapping various data formats in a file container. For instance. H.264/AAC/AC3/Text tracks can easily be wrapped to MOV or M4V file containers but QT would have a problem with MP4 files containing such data if created by a third-party app or if the extension were modified at the Finder level by a user.

Basically, all of the formats you mentioned are supported under Mountain Lion with "pro" apps and codecs properly installed assuming the source files are not corrupted and you don't have any conflicts preventing the proper use of your software.

User uploaded file

Oct 9, 2013 9:05 AM in response to Jon Walker

FOLLOW-UP:

Based on my interpretation of what you posted above, I have encoded and posted a number of sample files for you to download and test:

Test_Source.m4v

This file simulates a potential H.264 "Source" file for other transcodes as you indicated in your last response.

Test_H264.m4v

This file represents a file transcode targeting an H.264 720p anamorphic 768x720(960x720) output.

Test_MPEG4.mp4

This file represents a file transcode targeting an MPEG-4 non-anamorphic 640x480 output.

Test_DV.dv

This file represents a file transcode targeting a PAL standard DV anamorphic 720x576(768x576) output.

Test_HDV.mov

This file represents a file transcode targeting an HDV 1080p compressor native output pillared to maintain original content aspect ratio.

If these files play correctly, then I would assume your standard system and ProApps codecs are properly installed/configured and your primary issue is in your export workflow. On the other hand, if any of these files do not play correctly on your system, then you most likely have a codec installation/configuration problem.

User uploaded file

Quicktime 7 - White screen on export, but codecs are there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.