Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8058)

On MacPro 1,1 (trapped at Lion) I started the Goodreader web service on my iPad, connected to the server as owner, then tried to copy a PDF to iPad/Documents. The copy failed with the captioned error code -8058:

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8058)

So far I've not found that code on apple.com or anywhere else.

Suggestions appreciated!

Mac Pro, Apple Cinema HD

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 1:42 PM

5 replies

Oct 8, 2013 2:18 PM in response to baltwo

Thanks. That is the first thing I did. Maybe there is something useful there but I did not see it. Same with searching site:apple.com - not normally needed as the Google search will turn up the most relevant hits in apple.com. No luck with apple support search either.

I keep indexes of the OS X error codes, so don't have to go online (we are often at sea, no internet) - this code is out of range of my docs.

Hits are good, but not universally helpful.

Oct 8, 2013 4:30 PM in response to baltwo

Thanks, case closed. The cause of the -8058 appears to be an issue with the Goodreader web server (not Finder preferences in this case). The server was my wife's iPad Mini - I restarted it, then reconnected and the file transfer worked fine.

Correction for future readers, I wrote "tried to copy a PDF to iPad/Documents" which should have read "tried to copy a PDF from iPad/Documents to MacPro"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.