Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get ringtones to transfer to new iphone

I ordered my new iphone 5s from att and got it in the mail last week. The last two times I got a new phone (4s upgrade at att and then defect-replacement from the apple store), I feel like there was very little I had to do beyond backing it up to itunes beforehand. I'm pretty sure when I got the new phone they set it up as my new phone and I was able to get my apps by connecting to itunes. This time, however, it's been tricky as I've had to do it at home. After updating to the new ios and backing up/syncing my 4s several times, I activated my 5s. Restoring the backup from the 4s to my phone only seemed to transfer over my contacts and my pictures. No apps, no ringtones. After several more attempts and "transferring all purchases" from the 4s to itunes and then reconnecting and loading backup onto the 5s, I got my apps. I think the only thing I'm still missing is the ringtones. When I connect the 4s, I can see the ringtones and play them in itunes however I cannot figure out any way to export/save them to the computer, transfer them to be saved separately in itunes to be downloaded on the other device, etc. I created them on an older computer so I no longer have access to the original files I made. It would be a pain in the butt to have to recreate all my ringtones. Is there any way to get these buggers transferred? Is it not odd that it itunes only partially transferred my data? I would think it would either transfer all the data or none. Any help would be appreciated!

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 4:14 PM

10 replies

Nov 8, 2017 2:13 PM in response to ama786

So I purchased the iPhone x, backed up my 7 plus, continued with the transfer to the X process off iTunes like I've done on every other phone, and my tones did not carry over. I tried then going into my folder for tones on my MAC, saved the tone to my desktop, dragged it over to tones, and still it will not sync. It has the "dotted circles". I went into my phone in iTunes and unchecked music, sync... still nothing. It won't un sync, or re sync any of my tones, or music.

Nov 28, 2017 8:34 AM in response to Huntseeker14

Same here!! I have so many ringtones that I made or purchased that did not sync or download. I had specific tones for certain people so that I didn't have to look at the phone to know who was calling and now I have only a few tones left. I have tried doing the drag and drop and am having the same issue as you. Every time I sync it, all it does is add the ones that I had redownloaded onto the phone (purchased ones) to the list looking vastly different than what the other tones look like with a ton of numbers that make the specific tone unidentifiable. This iTunes update sucked and I'm kind of upset I bought the new phone.

Dec 25, 2017 6:56 AM in response to jadedragon500

Hi,

I too had been disappointed with this issue, as I am not able to transfer my recently purchased ringtone on my other devices. After an exhaustive search, I have almost given up, the suddenly this evening I found following. Bingo Here is the likely solution for you.

Go to Sound & Haptics and try to change your Ringtone/Text Tone/New Mail tone etc. You will be taken into a list of alert tones, ringtones screen. Scroll to the top. Under Store section, you will find Tone Store. Just below you will find a message "Download all my purchased Tones" Just touch and you are done!!

Hope this helps.

Dec 26, 2017 6:08 AM in response to ama786

Hi

Recent new 6s from 5C. ITunes backup of 5C. New phone then updated from backup. Noticed that no ringtones had transferred across.

Using an iMac. Plugged old and new phones in via USB. ITunes recognised them both together. Under 'Tones' I can see my ringtone on old phone but not on new. (You don't have to do this as you may only have 1 USB cable)

The secret was to actually find the ringtone file. Initially I did a spotlight search for a .m4r file which took me to - Macintosh HD - Users - XXXXXX - Music - ITunes - ITunes Media - Tones. There you will find your tones.😎

Right click - Copy and then in ITunes paste it into the Tones folder of your new device.

Can't get ringtones to transfer to new iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.