Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard drive is suddenly Read only. Help!

I reformatted my I mac due to it being extremely slow. After reformat, the toshiba external hard drive that I have been using for months before with no problem, is now a read only. I have over 1TB of space available and I need to use it. Does anyone know what happened and how to fix it. I cant lose my information.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 6:09 PM

5 replies

Oct 21, 2013 8:49 PM in response to MrsWeir

Yes you can format it using Disk Utility. To either Mac OS Extended format or MS-DOS FAT format. Mac format will only work on Macs whereas the FAT format works on both Windows/Mac. Doing so will erase the data from the hard drive though.

Open up Disk Utlity from the Utilities folder which is in the Applications folder. Select the hard drive on the left hand side and go into the Erase tab. From there change to the appropriate format and click erase.

External Hard drive is suddenly Read only. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.