Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does home sharing not work endless both itunes are open?

Why doesn't it?

I was orginally asking how to fix it, but I saw those other posts on the right hand side and I guess It was always opened on both.

Why's it have to be like that? It can't just send a signal or something?

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 10:11 PM

3 replies

Jan 4, 2014 9:09 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Perhaps unrealistic for Apple users, but Windows Media Player does not have to be running for me to stream music from my Windows Media library. And Bonjour services are running in the background on my computer whether iTunes is opened or not. I actually think it is quite reasonable to expect that devices could stream music through Home Sharing from my computer despite the fact that the iTunes client is not open.

Jan 21, 2014 5:50 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:

Welcome to the Apple Community.

I'm not sure it's all that realistic to expect something to work when it's turned off. Both devices need to be running iTunes in order for homesharing to work.

Mavericks server app not only doesn't need to be running, the account its on needn't even be logged in. Ideally, iTunes would use some kind of helper app to feed the data without the iTunes interface running, which is not then needed. But I can see from Apple's perspective how it might create user confusion.

Why does home sharing not work endless both itunes are open?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.