Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion booting up to utility

So today I restarted my MacBook Pro and by surprise I ended up in Utilities.

I repaired the disk, started up with my main disk, erased RAM... doesnt work

Safe mode, doesnt work.

Booting up by holding down Option key, it gaves me 2 choices, my main disk and recovery. By chosing the main disk it takes me back to Utility.

All help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7//8 GB

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 2:33 AM

5 replies

Oct 9, 2013 5:39 AM in response to spjuver555

Sounds like there is some error that your recovery partition Disk Utility hasn't been able to fix. Your options:

• internet recovery OS X: About OS X Recovery
  • a third party utility like DiskWarrior or TechTool might be able to fix it. DiskWarrior 4 - The Disk Utility for Mac Disk Repair, Mac Directory Repair, Mac Disk Recovery, Mac Data Recovery Techtool Pro 7
  • erase your HD and reinstall ML
    1. hopefully you have a backup of your critical documents.
      1. if not, you could try mounting the HD in target mode on another mac OS X Mountain Lion: Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode
      2. If you can get your boot partition to work, even briefly, back up those documents, and look for a crash log.
  • Another possibility is that your HD is starting to fail. If nothing else works, you might have to replace it.
  • Mountain Lion booting up to utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.