Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No clickable Table of Contents in an Pages export to PDF

HI,

I am a happy user of Pages. I run Paralells on my MBP (running OS 10.8.5) and have MS XP with a 2010 version of MS Word runing perfectly satisfactorily and I'm happy with that too.

However, when I export a document to PDF, which I do a lot for review purposes for several customers, Pages has a serious drawback. A PDF expoprted from Pages does not contain a clickable table of contents. A "Save as" PDF from the same document in Word will contain a clickable table fo contents if the option "Create bokkmarks using Headings" property is clicked in the Save as "Options" dialog.

No such option is provided in Pages and although i have searched the Webl I can't find any help.

Anybody having the same experience? Any ideas for how to deal with this would be appreciated as it goes against the grain to export a Pages document to Word simply to save it as a functional PDF!

Thanks in anticipation.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), Mac OS 10.8.5

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 2:50 AM

16 replies

Oct 9, 2013 4:13 AM in response to PeeVeeGee

Hi PVG,

However, when I export a document to PDF

This may work. Try Printing to PDF from Pages.

Menu > File > Print, and bottom left of the Print dialogue is a button PDF. Click on this and choose Save as PDF, then choose a location.

I hope this works. I am using Pages '09 version 4.3 on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.4

Regards,

Ian.

Oct 9, 2013 5:27 AM in response to PeeVeeGee

Hi PVG,

I now see your problem. Hyperlinks and Bookmarks do not work in a Table of Contents because that behaves as a single object and is not editable.

Here is a TOC for a four-page document. TOC is on Page 1. Chapters 1, 2, 3 are on pages 2, 3, 4 (separated by Section Breaks).

User uploaded file

Non-editable. But double click in the TOC:

User uploaded file

Then Copy. Paste into TextEdit. That will paste plain text. Copy, then Paste back into Pages (page numbers are now static).

User uploaded file

Format the font and tab settings. Then create Hyperlinks from the new, editable TOC to the Chapter titles:

User uploaded file

Clunky? Yes, but it works. Next challenge is to get rid of the ugly underlines and make a pretty TOC.

Regards,

Ian.

Oct 9, 2013 6:36 AM in response to Yellowbox

Ian, thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, neither of them solve my problem which I realise I did not state clearly enough, sorry about that.

The problem is not that the table of contents shown in the document pane is not clickable, it is. THe problem isIt is that the bookmarks (from which, I assume, the table of contents is constructed) are not shown in the Navigation pane to the left of the document pane.

I called that the table of contents because the PDF viewer I'm using, Skim, calls it that. Adobe Reader calls them bookmarks so maybe that explains it better.

Hopefully this screen-shot will illustrate what I mean. Whoops, can't seem to upload an image.

Regards.

Paul

Oct 9, 2013 7:50 AM in response to PeeVeeGee

Hi Paul,

I got an email notification before your reply appeared in this discussion. Synching is out of step. Thanks for your reply.

Paul wrote: THe problem isIt is that the bookmarks (from which, I assume, the table of contents is constructed) are not shown in the Navigation pane to the left of the document pane.

I am flying by the seat of my pants because of the poor synch - a bit like a time warp.

The Table of contents is constructed from those paragraph styles that the user has nominated as TOC styles.

Click on Inspector > Document > TOC to see those styles. The TOC is not constructed from Hyperlinks or Bookmarks.

Try Menu > View > Show Styles Draw.

Maybe the solution is to apply Hyperlinks and Bookmarks (in Pages) to nominated TOC paragraph styles before creating a TOC?

Let's hope the Pages gurus in this forum will eventually synch with us.

Regards,

Ian

Oct 9, 2013 10:26 PM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Yellowbox,

Thansk for the tip about the camera icon, now it worked!

This is what I mean with the bookmarks navigation panel, a really useful tool for quickly scrolling through hte documentUser uploaded file

I tried your suggestion of copyin gthe ToC as text and applying hyperlinks to pre-defined bookmarks, but did not succeed. Mabe I did something wrong. In any case, it's a process with many steps for a large document so experting to Word and creating a PDF form there is much easier. Just seems like a betrayel of all things Apple, that's all!

Cheers,

Paul

Oct 9, 2013 10:43 PM in response to PeeVeeGee

Hi Paul,

The left column shows page thumbnails. Here is what they look like in Preview app.

User uploaded file

Hyperlinks exist in the Table of Contents. They link to bookmarks within the document. I guess that is what you want to export from Pages to PDF.

Ah well, if Word is the tool for the job, that is quicker than messing around with Pages. Would be nice to know if there is a way...

Regards,

Ian.

Oct 11, 2013 8:59 AM in response to fruhulda

Hi fruhulda,

Thank you for your encouragement. I had given up.

Here is a screen shot of a Pages document TOC:

User uploaded file

View > Show Invisibles is on. The blue horizontal line is a Section Break to separate the TOC from Chapters 1, 2, and 3.

Exported to PDF (File > Print > PDF > Save as PDF > Save)

This is a screen shot of the PDF TOC in Preview.app

User uploaded file

Clicking on either Chapter 1 or the page number (2) takes me to this:

User uploaded file

Clicking on either Chapter 2 or the page number (3) takes me to this:

User uploaded file

Clicking on either Chapter 3 or the page number (4) takes me to this:

User uploaded file

@ Paul,

fruhulda has come to the rescue.

Use Preview.app instead of Skim to open your exported PDF.

In Pages, use the Styles Drawer to assign paragraph Styles to those paragraphs that you want to be included in your TOC (Menu > View > Show Styles Drawer).

Make sure that your Chapter headings are a paragraph Style that is included (ticked) in Inspector > Document > TOC.

Regards,

Ian.

Oct 12, 2013 5:24 AM in response to Yellowbox

Ian and Fruhulda,

Thanks for still trying to help.

I'm afraid Fruhulda has not found the answer. Preview does not display all the headings in the Contents pane either.

Below is a screenshot of Preview showing the the Table of Contents in the Contents pane. All that is visible is the filename.

User uploaded file

Below is a screenshot of Skim with the same document showing the Contents pane where the ToC button is greyed out, can't be pressed.

User uploaded file

This is a screenshot of Skim showing a different document where the Toc works. This is what I want to achieve.

User uploaded file

I use paragraph styles all the time and the ToC in Pages is created form Heading styles 1, 2, 3, etc.

What I want is to be able to see all the headings in the document in the Contents pane.

In both Preview and Skim I can click on a heading or page number in the actual Table of contents in the document, that is not the problem.

Cheers, Paul

Mar 7, 2015 5:04 PM in response to PeeVeeGee

This is a glaring omission, but I'd bet it's a licensing issue with Adobe for this functionality.
After spending all day making a beautiful ebook in Pages, I was bitterly disappointed to find that the TOC didn't work, and bookmarks were out of the question.

But I did find out that adding both was relatively easy in old Acrobat Pro CS3. It's even possible to control the zoom level of arrival!

Add bookmark: select text and hit command-B

Control zoom of bookmark: select it, click command-I, hit the actions tab, and "edit."

Adding links to the TOC was a matter of going into Advanced/Links and using the link tool. Set location and zoom level before hitting the last "Set Link" button.

Dec 28, 2015 3:00 PM in response to PeeVeeGee

I'm very disappointed that this feature is missing from Pages. Pages makes much more beautiful documents but MS Word makes much more functional documents.

In both MS Word and Google Docs, using the header styles and making a dynamic TOC makes working links when exporting to PDF. In pages you can't make document bookmarks. You can't hyperlink to bookmarks, document sections or heading styles either. I use Pages to write all of my assignments, reports and case studies. Having functional TOC's in these is important, currently I add these after export in Adobe Acrobat (now DC).

I hear what Jon Burris saying about licensing, however the linking functionality isn't even in pages to start with. If it was a problem with Adobe or exporting to PDF, why omit this functionality from pages and Preview? If Microsoft and Google can pay to use this function, why not Apple, surely they have more than enough money?

I would really like to see this feature added in a future update, especially as it's such a near-basic function of a word processor.

No clickable Table of Contents in an Pages export to PDF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.