Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open/view/access interactive pdf form using Safari

I was unable to open interactive pdf forms from websites with Safari 6 on my iMac. I received the following message:

To view the full contents of this document, you need a later version of the PDF viewer. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader from www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

For further support, go to www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html

Unquote

I still couldn't view/open/access the form even after I upgraded to Version 11.0.04 of Adobe Reader.

This problem happens only (I believe) after I updated OS X and Safari. Previously I was able to do it without any trouble as recently as July 2013. However, I don't encounter any issue if it is just an ordinary pdf document especailly if it can be downloaded to be opened later.

As far as I can ascertain, I don't have any plug-in except for McAfee SiteAdvisor 2.0, 1Password 3.9.0, AdBlock 2.5.46 (which is disabled), Evernote Web Clipper 5.7, and Open In Internet Explorer 1.0 (by Parallels).

I am using OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and Safari 6.0.5 (8536.30.1).

Can anyone please help? Thank you.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Safari 6.0.5 and Adobe Read 11.0.04

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 2:31 AM

5 replies

Oct 9, 2013 5:21 AM in response to seridamai

You need to troubleshoot the third party add ons ...

Delete one at a time then try a PDF file.

I'd start with McAfee SiteAdvisor since it's a Safari add on.

Quote from the McAfee website: "With SiteAdvisor software installed, your browser will look a little different than before."'

Once it's uninstalled quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, uninstall Evernote Webclipper, quit and relanch Safari to test.

And so on until you find the culprit.

Oct 9, 2013 5:58 AM in response to seridamai

Active plug-ins should be visible in Safari - Help - Installed Plug-ins

Some pdf's - often interactive ones - do need an Adobe plug-in or application to use them, or they show a message similar to the one you saw. If you can download the pdf - Reader should open it... if you can't - enable the plug-in from Adobe's preferences, then restart any browsers.

Oct 9, 2013 10:12 AM in response to seridamai

Thank you, Carolyn Samit and andyBall_uk, for your prompt responses and suggestions.

Although I didn't follow your recommendations, they gave me some idea regarding what to do to resolve the issue.🙂

The solution is actually very simple. I uninstalled my existing Adobe Reader (using CleanMyMac 2 but I believe moving the app to trash should do it as well), downloaded a fresh copy (version 11.0.04) and reinstalled it again. When the software was being installed, it asked whether I wanted to make Adobe Reader (AR) the default PDF reader. I indicated OK and allowed installation to proceed and finish.

After installation of AR, I reopened Safari and went to a website to click the link to the pdf form. And lo and behold, I was able to open/access/view the document! It worked with a second website.

So the lesson is when installing an upgrade remember to make Adobe Reader the default PDF reader.

I hope that this procedure can help others resolve their issue if they have a similar problem.

Cannot open/view/access interactive pdf form using Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.