Skip navigation

Cannot open/view/access interactive pdf form using Safari

4015 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2013 10:24 AM by andyBall_uk RSS
seridamai Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 9, 2013 2:31 AM

I was unable to open interactive pdf forms from websites with Safari 6 on my iMac. I received the following message:

To view the full contents of this document, you need a later version of the PDF viewer. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader from www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

For further support, go to www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html

Unquote

I still couldn't view/open/access the form even after I upgraded to Version 11.0.04 of Adobe Reader.

This problem happens only (I believe) after I updated OS X and Safari. Previously I was able to do it without any trouble as recently as July 2013. However, I don't encounter any issue if it is just an ordinary pdf document especailly if it can be downloaded to be opened later.

As far as I can ascertain, I don't have any plug-in except for McAfee SiteAdvisor 2.0, 1Password 3.9.0, AdBlock 2.5.46 (which is disabled), Evernote Web Clipper 5.7, and Open In Internet Explorer 1.0 (by Parallels).

I am using OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and Safari 6.0.5 (8536.30.1).

Can anyone please help? Thank you.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Safari 6.0.5 and Adobe Read 11.0.04
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (84,160 points)

You need to troubleshoot the third party add ons ...

Delete one at a time then try a PDF file.

I'd start with McAfee SiteAdvisor since it's a Safari add on.

Quote from the McAfee website:  "With SiteAdvisor software installed, your browser will look a little different than before."'

Once it's uninstalled quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, uninstall Evernote Webclipper, quit and relanch Safari to test.

And so on until you find the culprit.

• andyBall_uk Level 6 Level 6 (17,590 points)

Active plug-ins should be visible in Safari - Help - Installed Plug-ins

Some pdf's - often interactive ones - do need an Adobe plug-in or application to use them, or they show a message similar to the one you saw. If you can download the pdf - Reader should open it... if you can't - enable the plug-in from Adobe's preferences, then restart  any browsers.

• andyBall_uk Level 6 Level 6 (17,590 points)

The default application for opening items selected in Finder - be they .pdf, .jpeg, .txt etc - doesn't affect what Safari does with them in the browser. PDF's are usually opened with 'WebKit built-in PDF' unless an Adobe or other pdf plug-in is active. Reinstalling AR presumably reinstated the plug-in.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.