Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music disappearing from phone ios 7

Ever since updating to ios 7 (and still with 7.0.2), some of my music has been randomly disappearing from the music app. I'll select a song, then the song will then skip to the next song and onto the next and so on until it finds a song that plays. You can see the artwork of the record(s) flip many times and the song track name change. If it can't find a song, it will dump me back to the Artist list. I read a few other forums where beta testers were reportin this back in July, but couldn't find any resolution. My only real resolution is syncing the phone with itunes, removing all the songs & podcasts, then putting the songs back.

I do have a few ideas on what is causing this. I'm big into podcasts and sync my phone with itunes many times a day to make the played/uplayed list on the podcast app on the phone and the podcast section of itunes match up perfectly. I figured to rely on my phone to look at what was played and then have the podcast in itunes be marked as played, but this doesn't happen all the time... the phone keeps the played podcasts on the phone (when it shouldn't) and doesn't put all the unplayed podcasts on the phone. I would then mark what was played on the phone and then in itunes and sync the phone again so only unplayed podcasts show on the phone and sync again. During this second sync, the "waiting for changes to be applied" shows on itunes for a long time before finally completing. I feel this would be the cause to my problem, the syncing one after the other after manually correcting. I'll see if manually maintaining my podcasts on my phone and itunes will prevent the issue, but I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 5:50 AM

87 replies

Oct 9, 2013 6:37 AM in response to sorciuch

I just now noticed my iphone 4s/ios7 doing the same thing. Insanely frustrating!

I synced last night as I had some new music I wanted on my iphone. all of the new music is playing but anything that was previously on there is deleting itself when I try to play it.

This is maybe the first time I've synced since the 7.0.2 update. I guess I'll to manually remove all of the music and then add it back in to see if it works.

I've been generall disappointed with the ios7 music app and have been considering a music app called in:play as it looks to have better navigation functionality. This may be the impetus I need to try it out.

An insight to this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Oct 11, 2013 2:49 AM in response to caliphile

I have exactly the same problem with IOS 7.0.2.

I added additional music via iTunes sync, and a random selection of albums already on my iPhone disappeared. Also I found an album I didn't sync copied itself onto the iPhone.

The strangest thing is that I don't seem to be able to have more than 22 artists! If I add an additional artist, one disappears at random leaving me at 22. The artist albums don't appear restricted purely the maximum number of artists.

Nov 5, 2013 12:26 PM in response to sorciuch

Wow! I thought I was losing it. Glad to see others are seeing the same thing. In addition to random songs disappearing, I'm also seeing instances where the wrong cover art is displayed next to the song. For example, I have the song "Drive By" by Train, but the cover art is Will.I.Am's Scream and Shout cover art. I have that song too, but it does has the right cover art.

Nov 7, 2013 8:03 AM in response to sorciuch

I was having a similar problem with the iPad 3. Just upgraded to the Air and somehow it's even worse--I have 27GB of music in itunes (not match), but for whatever reason, and no matter what I try, the ipad Air will only take 1500 tracks. I'm really loathe to restore as new as I have a have a lot of important app data (goodreader PDFs and such) that I'm nervous about losing. I'd already delete the previous iPad's icloud backup to save space. Anyway, I can't tell if it's an itunes bug or an iOS but either way, it's driving me nuts...

Nov 14, 2013 8:18 AM in response to sorciuch

The problem is not on iPhone alone! My music is also disappearing on my new iPod Touch 6th gen with iOS 7. However, to make my problem worse, I called Apple support. The staff tried to put the blame on me, saying it's not iOS' fault and I should read the Terms of Service, then when I tried to explain the problem to him he didn't want to listen and instead tried to force the blame on me based on another ground. Moral lesson learned: don't ever call Apple support to report Apple's issues.

Nov 14, 2013 8:28 AM in response to sorciuch

Ever since itunes updated to the current release and ios 7 was updated to 7.0.3 , I haven't been seeing this issue at all. It does take forever to sync just one song to my phone from my mac with the "waiting for changes to apply" message staying on the screen for roughly 30 minutes. Sometimes I have to sync twice to get the songs / podcasts onto my phone. My issue was with the songs disappearing from the phone, but they were always on my mac and never being removed from there.

Nov 14, 2013 8:48 AM in response to pagemakers4

Well the staff didn't want to listen to my problem then assumed the music I have was from iTunes, then said I should have read Terms of Service and Apple won't be held accountable for anything happen to the music I have on my iPod and asked me to redownload what I lost. When I said my music is not from iTunes he then tried to shift the blame away by saying Apple doesn't have anything to do with my music not from iTunes and it's not their fault that my music disappear. The main point here is I wanted them to acknowledge that iOS 7 is faulty and, at least, apologize instead of trying to put the blame on customers without giving a **** about their situations. Sometimes, even a "Wow, this is the first time we've heard about it. We'll look into the problem and call/email you when a resolution is available" would have sufficed. However, they chose a different way to handle customers. I've had the same experience when trying to replace my iPod Touch with faulty battery. I should have known better when dealing with Apple.

Music disappearing from phone ios 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.