Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just upgraded my iPhone to OS7 and in 2 days have used all my data

I just upgraded my iPhone 4S to OS7 and in 2 days I've used all my data (I'm on a limited plan due to having multiple lines on my phone plan). I never had problems staying within my old data plan before. I only upgraded because I was told to reset on my Macbook to get rid of a glitch in my operating system that was draining my battery after 4 hours. Unfortunately, it wouldn't let me reset until my iTunes was upgraded to OS7. So now I am stuck with an operating system I don't like, that is somehow using all my data, and still gives me less than one day's battery life. I've tried turning off as many things as possible but don't know what's using the data. Any suggestions?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 7:20 AM

Under location services, system services, turn everything OFF. Also there, disable "Frequent Locations"

In general, background App refresh, completely disable Background app refresh.

In general, cellular, disable "use cellular" for all but your essential apps (like mail, and then set all mail accounts to "manual fetch" instead of push mail or interval fetch mail).

See if any of that stops the data push, and improves battery.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2013 7:20 AM in response to lois829

Under location services, system services, turn everything OFF. Also there, disable "Frequent Locations"

In general, background App refresh, completely disable Background app refresh.

In general, cellular, disable "use cellular" for all but your essential apps (like mail, and then set all mail accounts to "manual fetch" instead of push mail or interval fetch mail).

See if any of that stops the data push, and improves battery.

Oct 9, 2013 10:30 AM in response to Michael Black

Thanks, Michael. I had disabled Bacground app refresh, and also some of location services, but not Frequent Locations.

I am really sorry I ever upgraded to OS7 in the first place. I used to be able to use Twitter, Safari and Facebook randomly without using much data. I'm wondering how much of a hassle it will be to have to go and turn everything back on beforing using them.

I paid for insurance on my phone so I'm wondering if I can just go to the At&t store and ask for a replacement if the battery life doesn't improve. Does anyone know if it will have to have OS7 on it or will a replacement 4S come with OS6?

Oct 9, 2013 12:12 PM in response to lois829

I don't know if AT&T would consider that grounds for replacement or not - only they can tell you that.

As to what the device would come with, I think it will depend on when the device was produced or refurbished and shipped from China.

New production devices, regardless of model, will be leaving the factory now with iOS 7 on them, as will devices being refurbished now. But, if you get a unit that was on the AT&T shelves before iOS 7 was released, then it would have iOS 6 on it. Note though that you would not be able to restore from backup of your current device without updating - you cannot restore a backup made from a device with a newer iOS to a device running a previous release. The backup must be made on a version of iOS equal to or older then the iOS on the device you are restoring to.

Oct 10, 2013 9:06 AM in response to Michael Black

Looks like I'm stuck with it. The good news is that the battery is now lasting over a day instead of 4 hours, and now that I turned off everything that you suggested I'm not getting data overage notices. It remains to be seen how difficult it will be to access my mail and facebook once I'm out of wifi range, though.

Thanks for all your help, Michael!

Oct 10, 2013 9:13 AM in response to lois829

You're welcome - the location settings under system services are something everyone should be keeping an eye on.

Things like frequent locations may be great and some people may love them, but they are inherently battery hogs as they are trying to track your daily movements in real time. And those features in system services also transmit all that location information they gather back to Apple regularly.

Again, its potentially great for things they develop from it, like better traffic apps and so on, but it has a down side too. Personally, I have had everything in system services disabled since the ability to do so was first introduced - any potential upside has no value to me personally, and the downside is not something I wish to live with.

But with the projected growth of both location based features, and the projected value to companies of location based user data, there are only going to be more things in there, not fewer.

I just upgraded my iPhone to OS7 and in 2 days have used all my data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.