Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S 4G/LTE signal issues

Since moving to a 4G network (specifically, EE in the UK) I've had consistent problems with maintaining a 4G signal even when I know I'm in a strong signal area. I know this because I'm also using an iPad Mini on the same network. Often the iPhone 5S will drop to a 3G or, more often, an Edge signal when the iPad Mini is showing a strong 4G signal sitting beside the iPhone.

I contacted EE about this and they suggested the usual:

- Airplane mode

- Power cycle/restart

- Reset network settings

- Restore device

All of the above made no difference. The next suggestion was a '2 way SIM swap'. Before going into a store to try this, I decided to just swap the SIM cards in my iPhone and iPad. The result was somewhat surprising in that initially the iPhone picked up a 4G signal at a similar level to that of the iPad (the iPad always shows a slightly stronger signal, which I assume to be do to a larger antenna array in the device).

On a related note, I often notice that the download/upload speeds on the iPhone 5S are significantly less than the iPad Mini. Again I can only assume this to be related to the antenna design of the iPad as I can see no other obvious explanation.

The only remaining possibility I can see is that the iPhone itself is faulty, or that the SIM card when placed in an iPhone is somehow not functioning properly at times. The next course of action will be to request a replacement iPhone via the operator.

Before I do this I just wondered if anyone has similar experiences with the iPhone 5S. Could it just be a baseband/firmware issue in the 5S that will be addressed in a future update?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 8:32 AM

5 replies

Feb 2, 2014 5:56 AM in response to tomwynne

I have a 5s on EE ive had nothing else but trouble with the phone searching all the time,ive missed loads of calls,im back in london apple store again next week , i cant see the point of a mobile thats useless,if my phoe is found to be ok yet again ,it will be byebye EE and back to the old faithfull 02,as i find EE like taking the money off you but are not bothered in helping if you have problems.

Its called good customer relations NOT

Apr 8, 2014 7:36 AM in response to tomwynne

My 5s worked fine for six months and then it went into constant searching mode. It happened suddenly. I spent a lot of time using VOIP with OOMA on my iPad talking to Verizon. They went through the usual routine of havering me first do a simple reset, then a complete reset. Nothing improved. I then called Apple Care and got someone more knowledgeable. The Apple Care person suggested pulling out the SIM card and cleaning it with a dry cloth. I did as suggested and this worked for about a day. Back to searching. I went to a few Verizon stores to exchange SIM cards. Unless the store is an actual authorized company store the employee will want to sell you something you don't want. After exchanging the SIM card at a authorized official Verizon store I got a signal again. But it didn't last long.

Apple Care told me that if I go to a company ( non franchise) UPS location they will put the phone in a package for me and it will be sent to Apple for repair. This, I was told may take 5 to 7 business days to be returned.

Another possibility is to go to an Apple store ( 90 miles from me!) and see a genius. Supposedly they know what to do and will handle it from there. Apple's warranty is said to be one year for mechanical and electrical problems that are deemed to be Apple's fault.

Since I mainly bought this phone to make and receive calls I went ahead and ordered a cheap flip phone to take with me on trips. You can get one on Amazon for anywhere from 6 to 15 bucks and get prepaid Virgin Mobile service for maybe about 20 bucks for 50 minutes plus or minus. It seems absolutely nutty to pay 300 bucks for a 32 gig Verizon phone plus 150 bucks a month for no service AND then buy a cheap phone just to actually make calls!

I'll try to update this later.

Apr 12, 2014 11:01 AM in response to Dick the hick

Update: went to a few Verizon stores trying to get a replacement SIM card on the theory that the SIM card, itself,was my problem.

Finally went out of the way Apple store. Barely made my appointment. The local genius was able to diagnose the problem quickly. A faulty SIM card reader. He eliminated the possibility that the problem was the antenna because the iPhone could get wifi. Replaced the 5s with one that looked brand new, but doubt it. Up and running in about five minutes from icloud backup. Apps finally downloaded when I got home and connected to my wifi.

Happy now.

A few bothersome things.

Some apps need sign in again with passwords. A real pain. Even after restoring from iCloud.

Apple Care could have ID'd the problem a bit more quickly, but hard to do over the phone.

About all Verizon can do is suggest resetting.

Avoid going to franchised Verizon stores that are not official company outlets for anything. They will try to sell you things you don't need.

It's still a good idea to take a cheap prepaid phone with you on trips. An alternative is to take an iPad with a VOIP service like OOMA. That way you can have a giant iPhone.

The good news is that this signal episode removed the complacency I had since this was the first magor problem with either an iPad or iPhone. It gave me a chance to renew acquaintance with the plethora of features,switches,etc..

iPhone 5S 4G/LTE signal issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.