Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleting iPhoto images

I am using iphoto 11. I have quoted my issues from a discussion in Nov 2010.

They describe exactly what I am dealing with, but I didn't see a solution.

***Yes, I emptied the iphoto trash.

After emptying the trash, I can still see the pictures by doing a search for the name of the picture (ie dsc_0127) and when I do that, I can see that the picture is still listed in a folder. User>Pictures>iPhoto Library>Originals>2010>June, 22 2010>DSC_0127***

I am using Elements 12 as an external and it can open images I have deleted from the recently used files list so I know they are somewhere and I want them off my computer never to bee seen again!!!

Can anyone tell me how to find these images another way than the first quote above. I have done searches in pictures and iphoto. I have deleted the events in iphoto and then deleted the trash and searched in them in the iphoto individual pictures.

I have both an original and modified file in the place quoted above. However, I have been told these are actually alias files and these photos are actually somewhere else.

***It is critical that you NEVER go into the iPhoto library and delete (or change) anything - doing so will corrupt your library and cause you to lose data***

I am ashamed to say I did just as the quote above says NOT to do. I did this with 2 images, then read how I may have corrupted my library.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 9:22 AM

7 replies

Oct 9, 2013 12:59 PM in response to mabellucy

Are you using PSE 12 from within iPhoto and the external editor? If so then are you using is in this manner:

Using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as Your Editor of Choice in iPhoto.

1 - select Photoshop or Photoshop Elememts as your editor of choice in iPhoto's General Preference Section's under the "Edit photo:" menu.

User uploaded file

2 - double click on the thumbnail in iPhoto to open it in Photoshop. When you're finished editing click on the Save button. If you immediately get the JPEG Options window make your selection (Baseline standard seems to be the most compatible jpeg format) and click on the OK button. Your done.

3 - however, if you get the navigation window

User uploaded file

that indicates that PS wants to save it as a PS formatted file. You'll need to either select JPEG from the menu and save (top image) or click on the desktop in the Navigation window (bottom image) and save it to the desktop for importing as a new photo.

This method will let iPhoto know that the photo has been editied and will update the thumbnail file to reflect the edit..

NOTE: With Photoshop Elements the Saving File preferences should be configured as shown:

User uploaded file

I also suggest the Maximize PSD File Compatabilty be set to Always. In PSE’s General preference pane set the Color Picker to Apple as shown:

User uploaded file

Note 1: screenshots are from PSE 10

Note: to switch between iPhoto and PS or PSE as the editor of choice Control (right)-click on the thumbnail and select either Edit in iPhoto or Edit in External Editor from the contextual menu. If you use iPhoto to edit more than PSE re-select iPhoto in the iPhoto General preference pane. Then iPhoto will be the default editor and you can use the contextual menu to select PSE for your editor when desired.

OT

Oct 9, 2013 1:57 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you for your time trying to help. I have re-read my question and cannot tell where I am going wrong. I am trying to find images that were deleted from iphoto but still remain on my computer... Elements can open them but they will not come up in a search anywhere.

I can find them in the same place as the first quote I used.

They second quote says I should not delete them from there.

My object is to get rid of all photos I thought I deleted in iphoto.

Maybe I am in the wrong forum and for that I apologize, I didn't mean to waste people's time and energy.

Oct 9, 2013 2:07 PM in response to mabellucy

Did you edit those photos from with iPhoto with PSE? Did you make sure that you flattened the image and saved it as a jpg file? If no then the files are inside the library package but iPhoto doesn't know where. ]

My previous post about using PSE with iPhoto explains why, if PSE tries to save it as a .psd file, the file must be flattened and saved as a jpeg. That way iPhoto knows it's been edited, will update the thumbnail and let the user see and further use the edtied version.

deleting iPhoto images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.