Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xserve Directory jumping back to the root level

I am running an Xserve with SL Server. Attached to it via fiber channel is an Xraid. I have multiple partitions and a volume on a partition that is giving me troubles with the subject above.

I have 16 users that mount this volume for their main production work. On this volume is a folder. When they double click this folder that window opens, and after 2 - 10 seconds pass, the directory jumps back to the root level of the volume. They can't work.

This happens if they are in list view or icon view. I set the spring-loaded folders to off. Nothing makes a difference. I will say that after a server restart, the problem goes away but only temporarily (e.g. overnight the problem comes back).

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Xserve Intel Xeon and Xraid w/ 7TB

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 8:54 AM

5 replies

Oct 23, 2013 5:42 AM in response to iToaster

Yes. I ended up creating a new user and then observing what preferences were created. These were all com.apple.xxx prefs. I then logged in with Root so I had access to both the original user/library/preferences and the new user and simply overwrote the original users prefs with all of these new prefs.

Of course, I had to reset all the user's preferences but a small price to pay.

This hit over 6 of my 14 users overall and at the same time. I wonder if a virus got on our system. I haven't seen the issue again. Thanks for replying.

Oct 26, 2013 3:03 PM in response to msamadmin

What worked for me is written above your post.

1. Create a new user on your Mac.

2. Login to that user

3. Go to Users>Home Folder>Library>Preferences and note what core preferences are created. I did a screen capture using command-shift-4, space bar, then click on this preferences window. Print the screen capture.

4. Login to your origianl account. Go to users>Home Folder>Library>Preferences.

5. Delete all the prefs that match the ones on your printout.

6. They will be recreated. I think it might be the sidebar preference file but I am not positive. Just do them all.

Oct 30, 2013 8:30 AM in response to BensonMacUser

Hi BensonMacUser,

thank you, that was a really good hint and solve the problem,

I figured out you have only to delete the com.apple.universalaccess.plist file.

After deleting this file the problem was fixed. (I deleted this file in previous mac os´s if

if have had problems, but i thought this is a osx-server problem not a client one.

So fare i know there is no setting in os changed after deleting this file.

I think from time to time this file becomes corrupted.

I think it will be a good idea to write a shout-down script that delete every shout down the com.apple.universalaccess.plist file, if the problem comes back.

There is Application named InfoPlistChecker that is a programmer's tool to look for errors and omissions in the ".plist" file that lives inside every Mac application program.

best

regards

Xserve Directory jumping back to the root level

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.