Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS7 and Mercedes media interface

I have an iPhone 5s and am trying to use the media interface on a 2014 GLK. This worked fine with my old iPhone 4, iOS 6 and the supplied MB cable.

But with the 5s and iOS7 with the Apple Lightning to 30-pin Adapter, the interface conencts, you can browse artists and start to play a track. But after about 10 seconds it stops playing, then displays no device on the MB interface, than after a few more seconds, says that it is connecting, then resumes play for 10 seconds, then stops and the pattern continues.

Mecercedes claims to have a new cable available in the November/December timeframe, but this seems to be a software issue on one side or another

The same phone and adaptor have no issue playing back on my Pioneer amplifier and it docks to the Mac with the adaptor, so it seems like a software issue to me

Has anyone had any success with this or have seen the same or similar problem? Using Bluetooth as a music link is really a non-starter as the quality is so poor

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 9:22 AM

30 replies

Oct 15, 2013 4:42 AM in response to Steven Bland

Hi Steven,

I yesterday pciked up my mew mercedes E equiped with the media interface. In my previous car, I had it too and it worked very wel on teh previous IOS-versionl; The responsible of the Mercedes delivery center confirmed me that the troubles started indeed after teh IOS7 upgrade and that all new deliveries suffer from it :-(

Not a very good situation, as now the ping-pong between Mercedes and Apple with start (I had it previously as well when Apple decided teh security concept in OS Lion and my NAS could not be accessed anymore....); I really wonder whne we will be able to use our investment ....

At least Mercedes is aware about the situation;

Peter

Oct 15, 2013 4:47 AM in response to Peter_Belgium

Heard back from Mercedes-Benz Canada om Friday, a solution may be at hand

"Dear Mr. Bland:

You are correct, the hardware used on the cable and the phones are identical.

The updated cable that will be available by the end of the year will include a software update that will allow you to connect iphone 5s and 5c to your vehicle.

Kind regards,

name hidden to protect the innocent

Customer Relations

Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc."

Oct 15, 2013 5:06 AM in response to Steven Bland

just for the record MB as registered developers will have all advance details of software and hardware changes to allow the updating etc of their systems to maintain their compatibility with Apple products

Reality is, this not high on their agenda hence issues every time Apple moves the technology forward as in iOS 6 ,iOS5 et al

BMW are the same with their idrive

Oct 15, 2013 5:14 AM in response to wegras

Peter

True, but consider that a software release for the Command system has to be a big QA effort, it touches virtually everything in the car depending on the model and some are more complex that others. Do not think rolling that out is a trivial deal as it will differ by model and in some cases by year. For example the Command interface in the 2014 model year is completley differnt from the 2013 model year in the GLK

It is a non-trivial excercise. If they get it done by the end of the year, will be happy enough

Oct 15, 2013 5:20 AM in response to Steven Bland

You are absolutely correct but the forums are full of complaints that Apple has not made their products compatible with every motor manufacturer in the world's car systems

It usually takes BMW 6-9 months to engineer the individual snap in phone cradle where Apple change the form factor of the iPhone but as you say it is the QA process

Glad to see you are balanced about it 😉

Jan 16, 2014 10:04 AM in response to Steven Bland

HI Steven

Have the same issue for the last four months, I'm driving 2012 (62) C-Class, with MB blaming Apple loudly!

Firsty Mercedes Brooklands undated my Command Software and then advised problem must be via the Apple adapter and would not be able to help further until the new MB cable for Iphone5 is released.

Got the cable today, not via Brooklands who tell me its still not avalible, but from Edgeware Road London (1hr drive away) MB Part number 003 827 09 04 at £50.64 and guess what..! Problem not resolved.

Mercedes-Benz now telling me soonest they can book car in for inspection is Febuary...I not blaming Merc 100% as the same fault is seen within BMW...but come on Apple please talk with the Auto guys..!

Jan 16, 2014 1:22 PM in response to NIK09

Apple are not here this a user forum

Why should Apple do anything .It is up to MB to keep up or should Apple not move forward in case, MB, BMW etc aren't interested in keeping up which they clearly are not (and I am a BMW owner, 2 in fact )

All car manufacturers have total accesss through the Developer programme with full disclosure of updates and new iOS ,they appear just not prepared to use it

I have just had a rental Jeep Grand Cherokee after being rear ended

The whole media etc systems were superb the above manufacturers should be ashamed of their inability to keep up and this is with a 5S and iOS7.0.4 the car linked up without even asking it to and streamed sound etc etc

iOS7 and Mercedes media interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.