Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume buttons not working after IOS 7.0.2 update

Does anyone else have the same problem? Any fixes?

I have recently updated to IOS 7.0.2, and with it has come a big bug.

The volume buttons fail to respond whilst trying to play media, videos and music. Further to this the volume bar on screen will not operate either.

Infact with video, the volume bar has completely disappeared from screen

Volume buttons work fine with headphones plugged in. But when removed do not operate, the phone does not think that the headphones are still plugged in as when I operate the mute button the (headphones) message is not displayed.

I have tried, soft and hard reset, plugging and unplugging headphones, docking and undocking into station, charging phone. Raising the volume in settings, muting and unmuting. Shaking the phone, poking a toothpick into the headphône socket.

Cheers

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 10:31 AM

12 replies

Oct 11, 2013 2:09 PM in response to Joeyjones1980

Hello Joey,

Thank you for the details of the issue you are experiencing and the troubleshooting steps you have already taken. It sounds like you are seeing a screen similar to this when trying to adjust the volume:

User uploaded file

I recommend the following steps for an issue like this (you can skip any of the steps you have already taken):

1. Verify that the volume is set to a level you would normally be able to hear.
  2. Ensure that there is nothing plugged in to the headset jack or the dock connector.
  3. If the iPhone is in a protective case, make sure that the speaker port isn't blocked by the case.
  4. Make sure that the speaker and dock port aren't clogged with debris. If necessary, clean it with a clean, small, dry, soft-bristled brush. Carefully and gently brush away any debris.
  5. If an audio issue occurs when using a specific application, try testing other applications to see if the issue persists.
  6. If the iPhone is paired with a Bluetooth headset or car kit:
  7. Restart the iPhone.
  8. If restarting doesn't fix the issue, ensure that your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS.
  9. If the issue is not resolved after restoring the iPhone software, please contact Apple Support.

You can find the full article here:

iPhone: No sound or distorted sound from speaker

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5180

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Nov 30, 2013 5:33 AM in response to Joeyjones1980

I also have the same issue but mine appeared after updating to iOS 7.0.4. When I unlock the phone I should be able to adjust the ringer volume, but the Ringer window just opens with no volume bar. Key clicks no longer function within applications yet the volume is adjustable within all apps and the volume bar works when in an application. I also received the "Friend Finder Notifications" issue, the one where notifications no longer work within Friend Finder. Tried removing / reinstalling, hard reset between, no change.

With my update also came the "can't power it off" issue. 🙂 Holding the power buttown down and sliding no longer powers off the phone, it just restarts it.

Tried hard reset (hold power and home for 10s), no change;

Tried to Erase All Content and Settings and setup as new iPhone, no change;

Tried cleaning the charge port, no change. (too close to coincidence that my charge port fails mechanically on the same day I update the iOS).

Jan 20, 2014 6:19 PM in response to Joeyjones1980

OK - I had this same experience on my 4s when I upgraded the OS. Unbelievably frustrating. I resisted upgrading to iOS7 for this exact reason - fear of changes and glitches. I spent over 3 hours on Apple chat support and did everything they suggested:

-check mute button (duh!)

-turn off and on

-hard reset

-compressed air in earphone jack and the 30 pin port

-reset settings

-restored phone

-erased and set up as new and then reloaded all apps/contacts/content etc.

-I also tried evey setting on the phone having to do with volume

None of this worked. In the end they told me it is probably a hardware issue and said I should take it in as it was still under warranty. I mentioned that this appears to be a common issue that is being discussed on the internet - I got a "no comment." Plus I find it hard to believe it is a hardware issue that coincidently occured at the same time I upgraded my OS.

Bottom line - the phone acts like it was docked - Phone rings, alarm works. Everything else was silent and would only work via head phones or on a speaker dock. Volume bar did not exsist and volume buttons did not work when not plugged into earphone or speaker dock. I was at my whits' end. I read a trick somewhere and tried it and it eventually worked.

Basically I repeatedly "undocked" my phone while adjusting the volume. So with my headphones plugged in I would start adjusting the volume with the side volume buttons. This would cause the volume bar to appear and while adjusting the volume I would slowly unplug my earphones (and repeat). The 1st few times the volume bar would "stay" on the screen and I would get audio from my speakers on my phone from a song or audiobook for a few seconds. After 5-10 attempts the phone stayed "undocked" and all speaker function returned to normal and the volume buttons work.

I somehow tricked the phone to either undock or stop what ever loop it was stuck in.

Good Luck, I can't believe it worked. Obviously I was frustrated enough to try anything.

Mar 14, 2014 4:01 AM in response to Joeyjones1980

I have just experienced the same problem on iPhone 4s with the update to iOS 7.1. Everything has been fine with this issue with the other previous iOS updates. I had other issues with previous versions of iOS 7 concerning Safari. I've tried all above to no avail. Based on my current experience of iOS 7 this is definitely a software issue. Come on Apple sort it out.

Aug 3, 2014 9:16 PM in response to skiawah

I too had the same problem and after many different attempts from many different ideas, this headphone jack idea worked. Thank you very much! I just hope it continues! I put off updates to iOS7 for this very reason! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I had heard many different issues with the update, but not this one! So frustrating!

Volume buttons not working after IOS 7.0.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.