Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I download newly purchased music on iOS 7?

Hi everyone,

I am having a new & curious issue on my iPhone 5S with iOS 7. I purchased two albums in iTunes over the last 24 hours. Typically, my phone automatically downloads these, as I have that setting turned on. And on my previous iPhone 4S with iOS 6, this always worked.

Furthermore, I cannot download these tracks at all. (I should point out that I am an iTunes Match subscriber, which is why I'm trying to download them and not syncing via a cable at my computer). The newly purchased albums appear in the Music app. When I click the download button to download all from cloud, everything turns into spinny circles for a few moments, but then clicks back to the cloud-with-arrow buttons. This happens every time, and doesn't matter if I'm trying to download an entire album or a single song.

If I try to download other music via iTunes Match, it works like a charm. If I try to download music purchased BEFORE I upgraded my phone (that is, back when I was using an iPhone 4S and iOS 6), it also works like a charm.

It's only an issue with these two new albums, which are the first I've purchased in iTunes since upgrading the phone. I can't imagine WHY the new phone would be the cause of this (and I doubt it is!), but I am using it as a frame of reference to let you know that I can download most of music, but not newly purchased material.

And yes, everything was purchased and downloaded fine to my Mac. I double checked before posting and made sure the tracks were playable from my hard drive.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this? I've killed the Music app and rebooted the phone.

Thanks,
John

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 1:38 PM

1 reply

Oct 9, 2013 1:42 PM in response to promohthree

OK, I (partly) solved the matter. I didn't realize there was a DOWNLOADS tab in the iTunes store in my phone (I always shop on my Mac!). I just found it and saw everything had a download error. Re-tapping each track triggers the download, and I seem to be getting everything now. That's great.

What's not so clear to me is why these downloads failed -- I purchased on my Mac, in the house, where both computer and phone are on Wi-Fi.. They were purchased more than 24 hours apart too.

I kind of want to test it again now to see if it fails, but I also don't want to spend money wildly to troubleshoot.

If people have thoughts on what might be happening, let me know! I'll definitely update when the mood to buy another album strikes.

Why can't I download newly purchased music on iOS 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.