Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad2 lost sound after ios7 update

IPad2 lost sound after ios7 update. Here is what I know whas happened...

AirPlay will not show iPAD as an audio option.
Its not the connector, too many people with the same issue after the iOS Upadte for all of us to start having corrosion issues
I've restored 3 times and it works for about a day then stops
I've tried the "Fooling" it's docked and then Undock technique... This should be a non issue. Apple, It's supposed to freakin just work.

I've tried sucking and blowing on the connector as one post states to do

This is simple, it's an iOS7 issue. It's not a hardware issue, its an operating system issue. Fix it apple. There are too many people with the same problem and no fix from you...

SAFARI-OTHER, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 2:47 PM

31 replies

Oct 9, 2013 4:34 PM in response to Clyde77

I've done these things a total of 13 times. I've restored about 9 times and I've reset all settings about 4.

The issue ALWAYS comes back. The issue is that the speakers on the iPad stopped working after the iOS7 update. After restore it works for about 3 to 8 hours and then stops all over again.

When I Swipe Up to see AirPlay the iPAD does not show as an option. It keeps thinking it is docked when it is not. Some have said this is a corrosion issue. So I've to believe that all the iPad2's that have had this issue had corrosion issues all happen within the timeframe of the new update?

I can't afford to keep restoring it and waiting just to get a max of 8 hours of play time through the speakers on the ipad. It should just work, just like it did before the update.

Oct 10, 2013 12:52 PM in response to mikedlong

I have the exact Audio problem with my iPad 2 after upgrading to iOS7. I contacted apple support a couple of weeks ago about this issue and have been working with them to resolve this issue. So far there is no resolution for this problem. I just spoke with the apple support tech person last evening, and I am now being told it could be a corrosion problem with the dock connector. I told them that there is no way this could be since all worked fine before upgrading the operating system and there were too many other people out their with the same problem as mine. They had me take photos of the dock connector and emailed the photos to them. I am now waiting to hear back. I suggest you contact Apple support directly so they know this is happening to many others. Make sure you let them know this is related to the ios7 upgrade so you will not be charged anything.

Oct 10, 2013 1:16 PM in response to cb7474

So far this is what has brought back the sound, if only for a little bit of time. Restore. If RESTORING brings back the sound it cannot be corrosion. plus, this iPad2 is a refurb from Apple with my AppleCare plan so it's not like I've had this since they came out.

But like all the other things I've tried, restoring has failed within the same day of use.

Second thing that worked. turning off all synched items in the iCloud settings. This, for some odd reason brought back the full sound. I turned all of them back on and waiting to see if it fails again today.

Remember, sounds can still be heard if you go to Settings, sounds (i think that's it where the sounds for alerts are) and then messing with the volumne bar there. It will play the bell sounds so we know the speaker works and corrosion CANNOT be the issue. It is the fact that iOS7 believes, on an iPad2, that the Dock Connector is plugged in when it is not. This screams of an OS issue if turning off synched items in iCloud brings the sound back (like videos and music).

Will notifiy my post when I have some more news (good or bad)...

Oct 10, 2013 1:51 PM in response to mikedlong

I dont know if you have tried this already, but when the same thing happened to my iPad I did the following. What I did to fix this problem is just simple restart the device (meaning turn it off and then turn it back on) and then the sound should be restored. However, you should be advised that the sound could once more be disrupted because of various apps. To solve this i made sure to have the lock and key sounds on under setting, and every time the sound malfunctions I lock he screen and if I hear sound, it is working again, if not I will turn it off and turn it back on and it should work properly once more. The problem has to be in the OS as it only happens once in a while and with certain apps. I hope this helps, and you wont have to restore your device any longer.

Oct 11, 2013 6:08 AM in response to mikedlong

All of your advice I have already tried prior, and in addition, I worked with the Apple support tech who had me do another way of a restore and still no sound. One time I did get the sound back when I turned the iPad off & on several times in a row. However, when my iPad went to sleep mode and I turned it back on there was no sound again. I tried doing the same thing again, but could not get the sound back. I do have a direct contact person at Apple Support that I am working with on this issue. Yesterday I emailed the person this link to our conversation so they are aware that this is happening to more than just me. As soon as I hear back from Apple Support, I will post an update. In the meantime, I do have some small speakers called 'tweakers' that I plug into the headphone port of the iPad where sound does work.

Oct 11, 2013 6:12 PM in response to mikedlong

Day 2, 24 hours later... status update

After clicking on Settings-iCloud-then turning off all switches, turning off documents and data, turning off Photos, and turning off Find My iPad, restarting, and turning them all back on has yielded me 24 hours of sound. So far, so good...

what it has cost
3 days of trouble shooting

4 days of reading

numerous restores

numerous ways to click and hold two buttons at same and differing times/combinations

For somethings money can't buy

for pure frustration there's Apple.

I like your stuff Apple, but you're pretentious behavior that it is somehow "us the user" and not your iOS updates is a little disheartening...

Will update again in 24 hours

Oct 11, 2013 6:43 PM in response to mikedlong

We would all greatly appreciate it if you would contact Apple support directly about this audio problem so many of us are having. Posting messages to this site does not make Apple aware of this audio problem so many of us are having with our iPad 2. Again, I contacted Apple over two weeks ago about this problem, but they are not taking me seriously unless ever one else contacts them. Again, please all of you need to contact Apple Support to let them know about your audio/sound problem you are having after you downloaded the IOS 7 operating system. When you contact them, let them know this is related to the iOS 7 operating system, and they will not charge you.

ipad2 lost sound after ios7 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.