Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Line-In Input: Not Reading Sound

So here's my problem:
I tried recording some stuff I was doing in my DAW using Quicktime's Audio Recording option. My understanding is that I simply start a new recording, choose my input device, and start recording (by which I chose "Built-In Input: Line In"). I chose that option thinking, "Oh hey, I obviously want the highest quality sound for a recording so my friends can hear what I'm doing...why not have them hear what I'm hearing in my headphones?" Turns out, after I listened back to the recording....NO SOUND. I triple checked but the audio clip had no sound...just silence. Then, I went to system preferences, checked to make sure the correct Audio Input was selected...yes: "Line In: Audio Line-in port," NOT "internal microphone." Ok...so what now?

Then I went into the AUDIO MIDI SETUP in Utilities to make sure everything was okay there. Everything's fine...except the master volume on my Built-in Input is set to "0." The left and right faders are at a moderate level but the master is simply 0 (and it won't let me adjust it...it's just grayed out). The weird thing is, when I go back to system preferences, I have the Built-In Input level turned up. Why are these two levels different if they're the same input? Is this why I'm getting no sound when trying to record things like: music coming from my DAW, or simple audio tracks on my mac, or other recordings? I should emphasize: I AM hearing sound through my output, BUT I am NOT able to record that sound with a recording device. I've tried multiple things: Line In application, Audacity, restarting comp, changing to audo interface, checking DAW settings, etc. Why is my Line-In Input getting no signal? Thanks guys!

My specs:

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp644

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 2:35 PM

4 replies

Oct 9, 2013 3:29 PM in response to damusicman29

Couple of things to check, you say you have selected line in ok, are you sending an analog signal to the line in port?(It needs to be analog to be seen) If you are, when you open QT, under file click new audio recording, then also click the little white triangle on the upper right and make sure that it is set to line is a well. You need to click the red square to begin recording. Also check the Audio MIDI Set Up is configured as in the 2nd screen shot

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 9, 2013 4:18 PM in response to sanjampet

I did everything you said. My Audio MIDI settings are the same as yours.
The only other different thing I see in your 1st screenshot is the little bar at the bottom where you wrote, "audio input level." I see that bar in my window as well, EXCEPT, there are no white tick marks present, indicating an audio signal.

Now, you said something about me needing an analog signal. What do you mean? It can't record a digital signal?

Oct 9, 2013 4:38 PM in response to sanjampet

What you saw was an analog input to the to the audio port, digital would require a USB interface which would show up in the sound prefs input and audio midi set up, and you would select them, if you are using a USB interface you can try looking for those. The sound port will accept an optical signal or analog, there a zillion interfaces out there maybe yours is not happy talking to the Mac, or you may need to download drivers from the manufacturer. Not knowing what your set up is this all a guess.

If you can supply an analog signal to the line in port it should work.

Audio Line-In Input: Not Reading Sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.