Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downloading ios 7 to iphone 4 OTA without installing

i have an iphone 4 running ios 6.1.3

i had an alert last week that a new ios update is available 7.0.2

i don't want to install the update for now, but i decided to connect the phone to itunes and click on "download only" so that i have the new ios on my computer in case i need to do a restore any time, it doesn't take forever to first download then restore.

now, i have read a million posts about people complaining that ios 7 downloads automatically when the phone is connected to wifi and a power source (others said no power source needed, it will download automatically as soon as the phone is connected to wifi)

However, almost everyone confirmed that it will NOT install automatically. it will just download. since this is the case, i decided to connect my phone to wifi and see what happens, i connected it and went in the settings and it still stated that the update is available, but now that it is connected to wifi the "download & install" is no longer dimmed and i can click on it. however, the download did not start automatically as stated by some. i did not connect the phone to a power source, since i can easily avoid the condition when both are happening at the same time.

now, my question is, what will happen if i click "download and install"?

will it only download then ask permission to install?

will it download and go ahead and install automatically?

at which point do i have to "agree to teh terms and conditions" to prevent automatic installation?

does the fact that i agreed on terms and conditions while downloading it on my computer through itunes mean that i will not have this step during OTA and that it might install automatically?

there is no consistency whatsoever in the posts i read or even the youtube videos i watched. all i want to know is what exactly will happen if i click "download & install" i don't want to take the risk since i do not want to install it. also, if at any point in time it will download automatically when connected to wifi, i would like to just go ahead and download it, but not install it, to avoid it doing so at a time that is not convenient for me. but if downloading involves installing as well, i don't want to do it!

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 2:38 PM

8 replies

Oct 9, 2013 3:39 PM in response to mira_ishak

1. Please note that not all devices get this auto-pushed download. All of my devices listed below are on the same Wi-Fi network and are connected to a power source nightly to charge. My devices and their status with the auto-pushed issue:

a. iPhone 4 (8GB) iOS 6.1 *auto-pushed install*

b. iPhone 5 (16 GB) iOS 6.1 notification only

c. iPad mini (16 GB) iOS 6.1.3 *auto-pushed install*

d. iPad 3rd gen (16 GB) iOS 6.1.3 notification only

e. iPad 4th gen (16 GB) iOS 6.1.3 notification only

All of the above devices have sufficient space to hold the ~3.1 GB required installation space.

If you click "Download and Install", the update file is downloaded to your device. After the download, it is decompressed/extracted and can use up to ~3.1 GB of the device's storage space (dependant on the type of device). Afterwards, the "Download and Install" button changes to "Install". In this case, the installation will proceed if the user presses the "Install" button.

The "Install" button will NOT press automatically by itself. This is the one good thing about the pushed update. It will NOT install without your intervention.

If you choose NOT to press the "Install" button, the update will continue to use the ~3.1 GB of storage on your device until you can find a way to remove it, then keep it off the device. Note that it will continue to reinstall itself (even if you manage to remove it) back onto the device when the device meets the following conditions:

1. Connected to Wi-Fi

2. Externally powered, either via PC or power adapter/charger

3. There is sufficient space to hold the extracted update (~3.1 GB free)

Oct 9, 2013 3:25 PM in response to mira_ishak

If you click on "Download and Install", then it will download and install. It won't download, and then again ask your permission to install, you have already given it permission to install. I do not recall having to agree to new terms and conditions on the iPhone, only on new updates to iTunes.

If you don't want to install it, DON'T click on "Download and Install" on your phone. You have the choice to download it only on iTunes, and not apply the update.

If the phone hasn't already automatically downloaded the update, wait a couple of days, and then check again. Our two iPad's automatically downloaded it 10 days after it came out, and my wife's iPhone updated after one week, even without selecting to do the update. It automatically downloaded, and did not install as we hadn't agreed to do the install. The "Download and Install" button on the iPad/iPhone changed to "Install". I noticed this after I detected a spike in my monthly internet usage.

Oct 9, 2013 3:33 PM in response to SergZak

SergZak wrote:

1. Please note that not all devices get this auto-pushed download. All devices listed below are on the same Wi-Fi network and are connected to a power source nightly to charge. My devices and their status with this issue:

a. iPhone 4 (8GB) iOS 6.1 *auto-pushed install*

b. iPhone 5 (16 GB) iOS 6.1 notification only

c. iPad mini (16 GB) iOS 6.1.3 *auto-pushed install*

d. iPad 3rd gen (16 GB) iOS 6.1.3 notification only

e. iPad 4th gen (16 GB) iOS 6.1.3 notification only

If you click Download and Install, the update file is downloaded to your device. After the download, it is decompressed/extracted and can use up to ~3.1 GB of the device's storage space. Afterwards, the "Download and Install" button changes to "Install". In this case, the installation will proceed if the user presses the "Install" button.

The "Install" button will NOT press automatically by itself. This is the one good thing about the pushed update. It will NOT install without your intervention.

If you choose NOT to press the "Install" button, the update will continue to use the ~3.1 GB of storage on your device until you can find a way to remove it.

SergZak, If you click Download and Install, it will download and also install as you've given it permission to do this. I selected this on my iPhone 5, and it Downloaded and Installed.

This is what happened to our devices:

iPhone 5 (32gb) - Selected Download and Install, and it downloaded and updated to iOS 7.

iPhone 4S (32gb) - It automatically downloaded, didn't install. ("Download and Install" button changed to "Install")

iPad (32gb) - It automatically downloaded, didn't install. ("Download and Install" button changed to "Install")

iPad Retina (128gb) - It automatically downloaded, didn't install. ("Download and Install" button changed to "Install")

Oct 9, 2013 3:42 PM in response to wattsy76

Thanks for the info, wattsy76. I just assumed that pressing "Download and Install" (I never personally pressed it) would at least give you the option of backing out at the last minute after the download. All I know is that after the the auto-pushed download/extraction, it DID stop at the "Install" button where it actually needed to be pressed by the user. Correction will be noted in my future posts.

Oct 9, 2013 3:45 PM in response to wattsy76

this is exactly the problem. there seems to be no definate answer. i went an extra mile and i connected the phone to power (not theough the PC) and turned the wifi on, and whent to teh check for update screen, guess what, it didn't start downlaoding automatically. i still have teh "download and install button" to press.

i guess the 7.0.2 has been out for 10 days now and my phone auto detected it 4 days ago.

also, this link shows that it does ask for permission to "install and download" by agreeying on the terms and conditions BEFORE even the download

so now i am really confused!

my phone is 16 GB iphone 4 running ios 6.1.3

Oct 9, 2013 4:52 PM in response to mira_ishak

mira_ishak wrote:

this is exactly the problem. there seems to be no definate answer.

Yes, one of these issues is that there is no definitive answer as to which devices will get the auto-pushed download. Note the list I posted above in an earlier post.

Also note that there seems to be no logic nor reason why some get the auto-pushed download and some don't. In my case (as noted above), my iPhone 4 with only *8 GB* of storage (an iPhone 4 from Verizon, offered for "free" with limited 8 GB of storage) got this auto-pushed download, leaving less than 1 GB of storage free on the device (the iOS 7 install hogged ~3.1 GB). This is not logical in the least bit. I could maybe see if the device was a 16 GB device but it's only 8 GB. There is simply no logic there. Is putting a ~3.1 GB installation package on an 8GB device (with no easy way to remove it) a good thing? Not in my opinion and especially not if the user does not want to update at this time.

Yourself, on the other hand at least have the option (so far) to download or not to download. Some of us had no choice nor say in the matter. It was forced on our devices with no permission nor notification. Just all of a sudden, ~3.1 GB is literally stolen from users. I'd say just ignore the notification and avoid pushing that "Download and Install" button and be thankful you don't have to deal trying to rid your device of this ~3.1 GB iOS 7 "complimentary" update.

Oct 9, 2013 6:42 PM in response to mira_ishak

mira_ishak, how much free space do you have on your phone? I've read that if there is less than the required amount (1-3 gb????) it won't download.

My wife's iPhone had the notification that there was a new update available. When I looked at it, it asked to download and install. After my spike in internet usage, I checked her phone again, and it had changed to "Install". About a week had past between me checking the notificaiton, and checking her phone a second time. At first I thought because I had gone into the software update screen, that it then initiated the download. But our iPad 2 downloaded it automatically. I hadn't even used the device since the update came out, and with my internet usage spike, I also check it and discovered that it had downloaded the update.

I believe that if you want to install the update, either on the phone or through iTunes (with the phone connected of course), select Download and Install. If you only want to download the update and NOT install it, through iTunes select Download only.

Keep an eye on your iPhone software update page, and check whether it changes from "Download and Install" to "Install". If it has changed, the phone has downloaded the update. But it also could be possible that if you download the update through iTunes, when you sync the phone, the update may go across to the phone and sit there ready for you to "Install" it.

Oct 10, 2013 4:14 AM in response to wattsy76

i have 10.6 GB free on my phone so i don't have a storage problem.

the thing is that i assumed as well that when i clicked "download only" on Itunes and the update downloaded to my PC, this might have caused the download not to be pushed to the phone, although the file did not go to the phone, since i pressed download only on itunes and disconecccted the phone and left teh computer to download.

anyhow, i don't have wifi on all the times, since i have a fairly good data plan and only turn on wifi when needed to save battery. so i guess every time i turn on wifi, before turning it off, i will go and check the if the software had begun automatic download.

my concern is that it downloads at an inconvinient time while i am at work, or at a time when i have to disconnect and leave the place i am at with wifi connection and i cause teh download to be interuupted.

this is why i was trying to figure out a way to avoid that, by downloading it at a convenient time, but not installing it. but the fact that the button says "download and install" is making me suspicous!

downloading ios 7 to iphone 4 OTA without installing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.