Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari can't connect to the server

Since launching Safari this morning I keep getting the message that 'Safari can't connect to the server.' This happens with any website.

It was running just fine last night.

Firefox, Opera, Mail, iTunes and App Store all connect to the internet and work fine.

I'm running Safari 5.1.0 on Snow Leopard (10.6.8).

So far here's what I've tried, with no success:

Restarted Safari.

Restarted the computer.

Emptied Cache.

Removed All Website Data (in the Privacy tab of prefs)

Reset Safari.

Deleted Cookies.plist and Safari prefs from my user library

Tried running Safari with Firewall turned off

Turned off extensions

Uninstalled Flash

Reinstalled Safari using the latest installer downloaded from Apple

What's kind of interesting, is that Safari is not completely blocked from the interent. For example, it's able to connect to and load Apple's extensions page using the Safari menu > Safari extensions... And if I start typing something into the Google search field it receives search suggestions.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro (Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 5:30 PM

8 replies

Oct 9, 2013 8:50 PM in response to mdavidsydney

Hi mdavid --

Thanks so much for coming back to tell us what the problem was . . . And I'm sorry you didn't get help earlier. We're all volunteers here, so sometimes help doesn't arrive as soon as hoped.

Your posts here will be here when others looking for help with your situation arrive here. When they search, they'll find your soution, and will get a heads up to check for Little Snitch, if they have it.

Best.

Oct 9, 2013 10:28 PM in response to TildeBee

Thanks Bee. I appreciate your kind response, and know full well that the volunteers here do an amazing job.

The most likely explanation for my hassles is that I approved that Little Snitch rule without thinking about what I was doing. It sure wouldn't be the first I'd done something stupid like that. But if someone else might possibly benefit from this then that's great.

Jan 19, 2014 2:07 PM in response to anastasya.sime

Hi anastasya.sime,

you can try disabling the rule by unchecking it. As you probably already know, to see the rule in the list you click on the Little Snitch menu bar icon and select Little Snitch Rules...

Then once you've unchecked the offending rule, see if you've got Safari working again. In my case, it fixed the problem.

To delete the rule altogether you can just select it in the rules list and hit your delete button.

Safari can't connect to the server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.