Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" drops USB ports when ejecting flash drive?

I have a new 27" iMac with the extended keyboard in one USB, and a RS232 hub plugged into one of the other USBs, those are the only uses for the USB. Some of the RS232s are controlling peripherals, others are just terminals for various microprocessors (screen sessions on Terminal), also one Ethernet connection to a 68030 - all of this on a scientific instrument.

Today for the first time I used a flash drive to copy some data over, and after ejecting it I lost connection with all the RS232 lines - Ethernet connection was fine - only explanation I can think of is that the iMac dropped the ports upon eject. Any reason why this would happen? Anyone else see anything similar?

FWIW I used a USB slot on the edge of the keyboard for the flash drive. Restarting the instrument's software reestablished connection (i.e. I didn't have to reboot).

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 8:53 PM

2 replies

Oct 9, 2013 9:17 PM in response to erikbojerik

I have a new 27" iMac

You have 14 days to return the computer w/no questions asked. Plus you have 90 days of FREE phone tech support on top of your standard 1 year warranty unless you also purchased AppleCare which gives you an additional 2 years of coverage plus FREE phone support.

Strongly suggest that you take FULL advantage of the above before it runs out. Let Apple deal w/the problems.

User uploaded file

Oct 10, 2013 6:54 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

I'm aware - there are plenty of workarounds to get the data off the iMac, I don't have a spare and this is running the software for a scientific instrument that is being used all day every day.

It is a minor annoyance, but what would be useful is if anyone else has had similar experience and found a way to avoid this, perhaps I am overlooking something simple.

iMac 27" drops USB ports when ejecting flash drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.