Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable cellular data for specific apps on iOS 7

I'm running iOS 7 on an iPhone 4S. In the Cellular menu under Settings, I can supposedly turn off the use of cellular data for specific apps. I tried turning off a number of them, however, when I exit and re-enter the Cellular menu, all apps are turned back on to "enable". Why is this happening? I've tried turning off my phone, turning it back on and I have tried doing a hard reset (power and home button).

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 9:15 PM

I can't recreate this. If the phone reset (not "hard" reset, which doesn't exist in iPhone terminlology) didn't work, restore the iOS in iTunes, first also restoring a backup and if needed again as new, without restoring a backup.

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

50 replies

Oct 9, 2013 9:17 PM in response to yabayab

Curious. I'd never tried switching mobile data off for particular apps before but after reading this I went into my 4s running iOS 7.0.2 and tried switching cellular data off for several apps and it worked as advertised, they stayed off when I exited and reentered the settings screen. Sorry I can't be of more assistence, maybe it's something to do with your telco's network or something?

Dec 13, 2013 3:35 PM in response to yabayab

I did a full restore and it fixed the

problem, but only temporarily. A few weeks later, out of nowhere, the apps w/cellular off were again in the on position. Oddly, in some cases, it's just the toggle that has switched, but the data is still off, and in others the data has actually turned back on. Its quite random.

Dec 21, 2013 7:56 PM in response to yabayab

Hello all,

I have been using the iPhone 4S for about a year and I never had problems untill a few days back. Since about a week, my 3G settings for applications installed automatically reset.

Path >> iPhone screen >> Settings >> Mobile(Cellular) >> Use Mobile Data For >> "List of all apps installed"

Against each application, you have an option to either enable / disable the mobile data usage:

Eg:

App Store (swipe left to disable || swipe right to enable)

Contacts (swipe left to disable || swipe right to enable)

Facebook (swipe left to disable || swipe right to enable)

Facetime (swipe left to disable || swipe right to enable)

Weather (swipe left to disable || swipe right to enable)

You Tube (swipe left to disable || swipe right to enable)

etc...

Problem:

If I don't want You Tube to use mobile data, I would normally swipe left to disable thus the application will not start / stream any music if its on 3G/4G. Since a few days, whenever I disable the option for any app... go back to the main screen and recheck the settings, I see its enabled again!

The error I see when I start the app is:

MOBILE DATA IS TURNED OFF FOR "YOU TUBE"

You can turn on mobile data for this app in settings

<Settings> <OK>

When I go back to settings... I see the option is enabled.

Now I dont know what and how this happened all of a sudden. I have tried resetting the network settings for my iPhone, and it has not helped me.

My iPhone is updated to OS 7.0.4 and all apps are updated.

Anyone can help me on this error and how do I fix this?

FYI... I have no problems connecting to WiFi at all!

Dec 23, 2013 5:44 AM in response to yabayab

I have the same problem as above( I advise anyone else with the issue to send in a bug report as I have) , started happening after I updated to 7.0.4... I only updated because I was having a game crash constantly to only find out it was the game that has the problems and lots of bugs :/ ... I tried all of the above posted and as a last resort I restored the phone then restored my backup which may be the culprit but I need to write some thing down first before setting it up as a new phone. Any how I now have the problem partially fix meaning anything apple made app wise or system based for the phone won't allow me to change it under cellular data, with some exceptions. Ie contacts, FaceTime, settings, passbook, mail, etc won't change and reset to the on position when you leave settings. However maps, safari, and App Store do allow you to change the setting and saves it without forcing the on position and any third party apps like weather from apple, Skype etc do let you change those settings so I dunno if apple if forcing you to now have certain settings always on or this is still bugged and needs to be fixed....

Dec 26, 2013 9:21 AM in response to SpartanV295

My phone has been doing this for about a week or so now. I have done a back up twice now and restored and neither has corrected the problem with my cellular data staying on but not being able to be used. I decided to erase my phone and set it up like a "new" phone and my cellular data is ok now as far as i can tell. I don't have all the options i had before. Before I had app store, maps, stocks etc. But now that i have re set up my phone i only have maps and facetime but both work now. So, i am going to try to erase/restore once i get home and i'll update this to let y'all know 🙂.

Disable cellular data for specific apps on iOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.