Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An Error Occurred While Preparing The Installation. Try running This Application Again.

Hey. I have a mid 2010 27inch iMAC. My 1TB internal HD crashed two days ago, so I got it replaced with a 4TB harddrive. Both seagte.

I have been trying eversince to install OS X ML. I have downloaded the install files, create a bootSD and bootUSB disk as many other forums suggest. I managed to boot up on these disks but once I tried installing the OS i get the error "AN ERROR OCCURED WHILE PREPARING THE INSTALLATION. TRY RUNNING THIS APPLICATION AGAIN". I have tried reformating the destination drive. I have tried creating a boot DVD/ USB/ SDcard. I have reset my ram with the alt+cmd+r+p option. But I can't seem to get any of this to work? I need your help. Does anyone know how to solve this?

iMac, Mid 2010 27''inch Intel 2.8ghz

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 1:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 1:51 AM

Some Macs seem to have trouble working with 4TB drives - internal and external. I suspect that it could be a hardware/software or both problem.

If I were you, I would exchange the drive for a smaller capacity - even 3TB. I'm betting that will solve your problem.

Good luck,

Clinton

5 replies

Oct 10, 2013 2:09 AM in response to TinBach

I have read up a bit and it does not seem to be a hardware issue. If it was hardware I would have trouble seeing or accessing the drive. I did extensive research before buying the drive and all of those did not have any issues with the drive. The only issues they had was if you replaced a Seagate with a WD or the other way around.

So I really do think this is a software issue.

Oct 10, 2013 2:18 AM in response to TinBach

That's one of the reasons that I suggest that it may be an OS X problem. I have two 4TB in a single LaCie Thunderbolt enclosure and have had no problems with them. However, I've read of many instances of OS X simply being unable to handle 4TB drives, particularly internal (I've no idea if that's why Apple only sells iMacs with 3TB Fusion drive or not!).

I would at least try a 2-3 TB drive to rule out the possibility of the OS having trouble with 4TB drives... (oh, and it seems, from what I've read, that Western Digital 4TB drives are particularly problematic, so I would try a Seagate, if possible).

Good luck,

Clinton

Oct 10, 2013 5:50 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Okay. So I have gone and done some testing. This is what I have figured so far:

- Taking your advise I tried installing it onto an external Firewire OWC 1TB drive. The installation worked perfectly and I could get into my iMac through that operating system and see my 4TB internal from closer.

- I copied the installer onto the 1TB and launched it, trying to install the OS on the 4TB. This time it went past the previous stages and ended up with a message: "Mac OS X can't be installed on the disk Macintosh HD, because a recovery system can't be created. Visit www.apple.com/support/no-recovery"

- Then I found out that the recovery system can not be created on the drive because -some people argue you have to slightly make the partition smaller as to create space for Mac to create the recovery system. Some argued it was an old Lion Recovery parition that had to be deleted causing the problem. Since I didn't have Lion on my machine I knew it wasn't that. So then I wanted to make the partition smaller in Disk Utility. I was unable to do that because disk utility was running off of that drive according to many other forums I read. (I don't know how - since the OS is on the 1TB).

- Either way. I rebooted holding in the option key. Selected by original install discs as the boot drive. Waited for that to load. Went into disc utility from there. Made the 4TB drive smaller (instead of 4.00 made it 3.98). Leaving 20gb to the Mac recovery system. Then went back to the installation of the OS (still on the disc). And started installing the OS. Everything working perfectly.

Thanks for your help. Guiding me in the right direction.

An Error Occurred While Preparing The Installation. Try running This Application Again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.