Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iCloud calendar coming up as "server unauthorized" on eM Client?

Hi all,

I have recently moved all my e-mail/contacts/calendars from Gmail to iCloud and I use eM Client as my desktop software on my PC to manage everything and keep it all in sync with my iPhone and iPad. It has all been working perfectly until this week.

On Wednesday morning this week, I switched everything on as normal and was presented with a pop-up window saying Server says "unauthorized". I wasn't sure what this was all about it a quick few checks I discovered that it wasn't accessing my calendar, though my mail and contacts were fine.

It asks me for my password and I enter it but the message keeps appearing no matter how many times I put my password in.

User uploaded file

I have tried deleting the account and restoring it, and also deleting and reinstalling eM Client, but no joy and the problem persists today (Thursday). I am using the latest version of eM Client and there are no updates available.

Is this likely to be an iCloud issue or is it a problem with eM Client? Any advice/support will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Gareth

Windows 7

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2017 5:39 AM

You don't have to switch off 2-factor authentication. Apple provides a way to generate a password for apps that cannot use the 2-factor authentication.

Log on to your Apple account (not iCloud) and go to the security settings. There you will see a section entitled "APP-SPECIFIC PASSWORDS" Click on the link, provide a name for the app specific password (for example EM Client CALDAV). The password will be generated automatically. Simply copy/paste that password in the EM Client window that keeps asking for the password and you should be able to connect to your iCloud calendar once again. Worked for me!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2017 5:39 AM in response to Cover_n_Move

You don't have to switch off 2-factor authentication. Apple provides a way to generate a password for apps that cannot use the 2-factor authentication.

Log on to your Apple account (not iCloud) and go to the security settings. There you will see a section entitled "APP-SPECIFIC PASSWORDS" Click on the link, provide a name for the app specific password (for example EM Client CALDAV). The password will be generated automatically. Simply copy/paste that password in the EM Client window that keeps asking for the password and you should be able to connect to your iCloud calendar once again. Worked for me!

Oct 11, 2013 5:00 AM in response to hookahz

Thanks. I wondered if it was an iCloud issue as it was only affecting the calendar on my personal account set up on the software, not the mail or the contacts.

I also have a work account set up on eM Client just for e-mail and that is fine too. I have set a calendar up on there and it works OK, it's just the personal calendar that isn't working.

One day it was fine, the next day it wasn't. Very odd. I've posted on the eM Client support forums too so hopefully that will rustle something up.

Oct 15, 2014 5:15 AM in response to gtndavis

Hi,

I have a very similar problem. I use eMclient on a company machine, as I have issues connecting to the iCloud.com website (I enter my login data, but then it says that there is a server error). So I cannot login.

For about one year now I could sync the company Win7 machine to the iCloud calendar with eMclient, even though I faced above problems with the iCloud.com-website - eMclient was my workaround for being able to enter appointments here and syncing them to my iCloud calendar. End of last week I saw that this is not possible anymore. In eMclient I get error messages saying "bad gateway" when trying to sync to the iCloud account.

I read on the internet that Apple applied this 2-step verification, where you now have to generate an extra password for 3rd-party programs you use that interact with the iCloud.

I generated one for eMclient, but still the same.

I also made up a topic in the eMclient support forum. They say that other users have no issue (even not since the 2-step verification). I should check whether I could access https://caldav.icloud.com/. If I try this, I get a "server is not responding" error.

I talked to my admins at the company and they also say that they changed nothing to the restriction settings lately.

I checked the account settings in eMclient like stated here: iCloud: Mail server settings for email clients

but everything is setup correctly.

So I have no idea anymore what could be the problem. I have a work-calendar setup there, too, which is working - exactly as you also mention.

Thanks for any advice!

Why is my iCloud calendar coming up as "server unauthorized" on eM Client?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.