Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems uploading files to various web browsers

I'm having huge problems with uploading files to various browsers on my MacBook Pro (running Mac Lion OS X 10.7.5)

My default web browser is Google Chrome but I have tried Firefox, Safari and Mail, too, and they're all presenting the same problem.

The problem is that whenever I try to attach a document to an email in Gmail or upload a photo/file to any website - it just doesn't play ball. The web browser then becomes totally unresponsive (not loading new tabs etc.) and I have to Force Quit and start the application running again. When I tried this in Mail, the application actually crashed.

I've figured out a way to get round the problem in Gmail - creating documents in Google Drive or simply dragging documents into the email - but I'm starting an online course soon and I really need to be able to upload documents, files, images etc.

So far I have tried:

• Updating the software on my Mac
  • Updating Google Chrome
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Google Chrome
  • Signing in and out of Google Chrome
  • Deleting all browser history on Google Chrome

I've also figured out that it's not my firewall as I had an unrelated problem with that and it was taken down for around 24 hours to be fixed - I tried again to upload files in this 24 hour window and encountered the same problems.

I'm also having problems with my Windows for Mac - whenever I try to Save or Save As in Word - the programme becomes completely unresponsive, parts of the toolbars at the top white out and I have to Force Quit - hence, why I started using Google Drive to create documents. When I try and Save or Save As in Excel or Powerpoint, these programmes crash too.

I don't know if these problems are related, but I thought it best to bring it up just in case.

Can anyone help me?!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 5:21 AM

2 replies

Oct 10, 2013 7:31 AM in response to whatkatiedoes

In answer to my own question, in case anyone has the same issue, the problem turned out to be that my hard drive is failing.

If anyone has the same problem, back up all your data to an external device immediately (trying to run a computer on a failing hard drive is like trying to run on a broken leg, so I'm told) and take your mac to get a new hard drive - should cost around £100.

Problems uploading files to various web browsers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.