Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my friends geofencing not sending notifications on arrivals and leaving locations

Not send a notification when leave or arrive at locations. Everything in settings is set up. It was working after upgrade to ios7 but has stopped. Also when I go into notify me, it doesn't show the current location like it used to and I have search for the locations I have already added.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 5:01 AM

16 replies

Oct 29, 2013 4:01 PM in response to jboehm

what is odd, is that this feature works on an iPhone 4S, and iPhone5S, but does not seem to work on the iPhone4. that is... geofencing from the iPhone4 do not send a notification to the 4S and 5S, however geofencing on the 4S and 5S are sent to the 4 and 4S without issues (or from the 4S out to the 4 and 5S).

seems to be a geofencing issue with the iPhone4. one question I have, how do I make sure multitasking is enabled?

Oct 29, 2013 8:48 PM in response to Manicbobo

I don't get any geofenced notifications on my iPhone 5 running IOS 7 or on my 1st Gen iPad running IOS 5.1.1.

But I am pretty sure that it was working soon after the IOS 7 upgrade so I don't understand how it could get screwed up without an update to the app (unless of course the server is doing something).

But I don't understand how geofencing is implemented. Apple says that location updates are sent only on request from a friend. So if there is going to be a geofence, it has to be in the device of the person setting up the fence. So that device has to poll the target (or poll the server which tracks the device) to get the location and then compare it to the target location and calculate the distance, then generate the notification locally. This will put a battery drain on the targeted device as it is polled for location and has to do a GPS position update and send the data back to the server (or the server has to look at the device status and extract either the cell site/wifi net it is tethered to or the device location if it is collectable).

Anybody have any ideas?

Nov 24, 2013 6:42 AM in response to OzziesMAC

Geofencing is not working at all after OS 7, no matter what iPhone you have. I'm surprised that even after the upgrade of the app to look more like part of the new OS , this has not been resolved . Find it also curious that there is no word from Apple on why ...? Hopefully some of the moderators are reading these posts and will direct this to the engineers so it can be promptly fixed , I do miss it since I was able to see my relatives and friend arrive or leave their jobs or homes and plan accordingly when to call them

or know they have arrived safely at their homes

Dec 8, 2013 6:20 AM in response to Manicbobo

Geofence worked on my 4,4s,5 and for a day or two on my 5s.

All were running ios7. Then it just quit one day. I am seeing this same problem posted all over and nobody from apple seems to be paying attention to this problem. It was nice knowing when my grandson left school & when he got home using the geo fence. This is one of those things you see a lot of other people having trouble with & apple is oddly silent about. Myself & others pop a lot of money at apple keeping up with the latest iToys, and passing our "old" phone down through the family & it seems really odd when they go silent over a problem with one of their own apps.

Find my friends geofencing not sending notifications on arrivals and leaving locations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.