Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Main Stage loses Midi connection

I am using main stage 3.01 with a MacBook Pro (2011 with a quad core processor and 16 Gb RAM) connected to a MOTU Ultra-lite FireWire interface.

I have an M- audio key station pro 88 and an axiom 61 each hooked up to the USB ports on the MacBook Pro. Main stage will randomly and quite often just lose all connection (both audio and midi/USB.) in the middle of playing at a rehearsal. I have all of the latest Motu drivers and Mountain Lion 10.8.5 running.

It's frustrating during rehearsal, but unacceptable for live performance. I have some shows coming up and am scared to death to use this rig.

I love the flexibility of main stage and the huge pallet of sounds available to me, but I can't use this program right now live unless I can make it more stable and reliable. I've even tried using the midi ports instead of USB and the same thing happens. Before I scrap this whole rig and go back to traditional synths, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jimmy Jones

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 9:22 AM

7 replies

Oct 11, 2013 6:25 AM in response to Jim 21212

I've had issues with USB and firewire connections to my keyboards on stage. I believe some of the problem can be attributed to vibrations from loud music and other motion on stage. Even though your USB-powered keyboard doesn't lose power, just a slight glitch can cause it to lose communication.

Here's what has worked for me:

1. Use USB to MIDI cables instead of USB to USB. You'll have to use a wall wart power supply on your keyboard, but it's worth it. The MIDI cable connection is rock solid and will not budge during a performance.

2. Secure your connections to the Mac. I use velcro cable ties on every cable going to my Mac Mini, secured to an adhesive velcro strip on top of the Mini. On my MacBook Pro I would attach an adhesive velcro strip on the bottom.

After solving problems with using Mainstage in a live setting over a 3 year period, I can can tell you that it is well worth the effort. I use a 3-keyboard setup with MS instruments along with other AU plugins night after night. On the rare occasion that there is a glitch, it's almost always a connection problem.

Main Stage loses Midi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.