Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupted disk after update

Hello,

I wanted to update the system to the latest. After computer downloaded all files - restarted and then grey screen appeared with apple logo and moving circle, nothing more. I shut down the macbook. When I turn it on - grey screen with apple logo and rotating circle appears and progress bar at the bottom. When it goes at the and of the progress bar - macbook will just turn off.

I am able to run a recovery and run a disk utility. Something is wrong with the disk and its not possible to repair it with it.

Also I am not able to do a clean install without formating the HDD.

Question is, is there any way how to download or backup some of the personal data in macbooks hdd and then do a clean install or not?

Or I have to completely wipe HDD and do a clean install?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 9:27 AM

1 reply

Oct 10, 2013 1:11 PM in response to Hanessh4

I hate to sound dumb, did you try restoring from Time Machine? I did a NVRAM reset today per Apple tech and it cured my slow machine.

Here are the steps, I copied from Apple Support.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Here is the link to the NVRAM/PRAM support:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

I hope this helps.

Corrupted disk after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.