Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SYNC TWO SERVERS WITH SAME EMAIL - POSSIBLE?

My small company runs a Snow Leopard server, which is used primary for about a dozen email accounts. It's running on a Mac Mini.

As part of our backup routine, we "clone" the server into another Mac Mini - if the running server was to fail, we could switch to the clone and lose only a few emails.

We've got to relocate operations to Chicago for two months, and do not want to leave the server running in our offices, where no engineers will be able to service it. We'd like to take the clone to Chicago, redirect the MX records to the new location, but ideally keep both email libraries in sync.

Any creative suggestions will be appreciated.

😉

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 1:11 PM

You've stated this configuration works and I'll infer that means you've tested the fail-over onto the cloned server.r Which means I'm not sure exactly what question you're asking here; what you're unclear on here.

It seems you're planning to haul along both of your existing servers and your existing backup routine, probably one server at a time, and change your DNS and MX over as you have stated (possibly with both online with different MX priorities), then bring along the second server.

To make the DNS transition happen somewhat more quickly, shorten up the DNS TTLs leading up to the switch-over.

In short... If it works, keep doing it.

Aim your mail clients at both servers during the DNS transition, so you get the mail arriving during the transition.

I'd probably make a couple of extra copies of the servers, given servers can get dropped or stolen in transit.

I'd also consider performing the whole migration effort once, and transition to hosted mail. There are any number of entities around that will host your mail for you, or that will host slices or virtual machines for you that can run various mail servers. This unless there's a good reason to run local mail servers, obviously.

If you're envisioning running two mail servers running entirely in parallel and mirroring arriving mail across both servers in an equivalent of what's also called a multi-site disaster-tolerant configuration, that's probably more work and more cost than its worth. There are hacks to do that via IMAP and such, but I'd not want to have to clean up if something should go sideways with the OS X Server configuration. The simple approach is usually better...

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2013 1:11 PM in response to Brian Guam Engineer

You've stated this configuration works and I'll infer that means you've tested the fail-over onto the cloned server.r Which means I'm not sure exactly what question you're asking here; what you're unclear on here.

It seems you're planning to haul along both of your existing servers and your existing backup routine, probably one server at a time, and change your DNS and MX over as you have stated (possibly with both online with different MX priorities), then bring along the second server.

To make the DNS transition happen somewhat more quickly, shorten up the DNS TTLs leading up to the switch-over.

In short... If it works, keep doing it.

Aim your mail clients at both servers during the DNS transition, so you get the mail arriving during the transition.

I'd probably make a couple of extra copies of the servers, given servers can get dropped or stolen in transit.

I'd also consider performing the whole migration effort once, and transition to hosted mail. There are any number of entities around that will host your mail for you, or that will host slices or virtual machines for you that can run various mail servers. This unless there's a good reason to run local mail servers, obviously.

If you're envisioning running two mail servers running entirely in parallel and mirroring arriving mail across both servers in an equivalent of what's also called a multi-site disaster-tolerant configuration, that's probably more work and more cost than its worth. There are hacks to do that via IMAP and such, but I'd not want to have to clean up if something should go sideways with the OS X Server configuration. The simple approach is usually better...

Oct 10, 2013 3:50 PM in response to MrHoffman

Hi MrHoffman

Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm thinking we'll take the mailserver down altogether for the trip - about 17 hours. With the group of us in transit, mail wouldn't be getting any response, anyway.

Just prior to traveling I'll change the MX record (at Godaddy) to point at the new IP address and give it time to migrate. The shortest TTL time available at Godaddy is 30 minutes. For the mail that comes during the travel, we have a service in place to collect and hold mail if/when the mailserver is offline (a commercial service) that works well.

I've looked briefly at the hosted mail solutions. I can't say I'm sold on the idea yet - the services available don't strike me as "robust" companies, and I'm concerned about their longevity. Any recommendations in this regard would be appreciated.

And then there's the issue with our existing (8gb) of mail that we'd like to access. . .

Oct 19, 2013 10:47 PM in response to Brian Guam Engineer

If you stop mail service, you can sync the mailstore between locations... Carbon Copy Cloner is easy to setup and effecient syncing two servers at separate locations.. in fact, you could even sync the entire OS and mailstore from the primary to the chicago server (non-boot drive).

Really though, I would just look at fedexing a clone of the primary mini, then boot with that clone in chicago.

When you are done in chicago, fedex the clone back to the main office.

Consider a backup MX so that senders don't see 'delayed delivery' warnings.

You can find plenty of backup MX options with a google search.

Jeff

SYNC TWO SERVERS WITH SAME EMAIL - POSSIBLE?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.