Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro grinding fan noise

Hi,

After going through this problem here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5139645 I now think that my Macbook Pro crashes at random because of dust or something inside. The fans sound awfuly strange; this is what they sounded like at worst when I started the Macbook some days ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYNnPYfPd_w&feature=youtu.be Then it gets more quiet, but is still pretty noisy all the time, even during sleep mode.

CPU temp: around 40-60°c

Fans: around 2000 rpm

So, I get random crashes (which may be related to the craphics card, but I'm still unsure) and this fan noise. Would replacing the fans + cleaning the inside stop the crashes or should I replace the whole logic board (which my Apple Reseller suggested, but will cost a lot more) ?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 10:49 AM

18 replies

Oct 10, 2013 10:59 AM in response to MellonCollie-

Buzzing noise is when the fan needed cleaning.

If its grinding, the HUB of the fan is already destroyed, there is no help via cleaning IF it is in fact grinding.

contact Apple for replacing the fan assy. 😊

Saw your video, yup, fan is destroyed.

Do you use your mac in a dusty place and/or have lots of pet fur or fuzz flying around? Laptop fans act like little vacuum cleaners of the air and gather such fluff.

Having repaired laptops for years, when someone brought in a laptop with a grinding fan, I would ask them "do you have a pet/ cat / dog?"

They would says "yes, how did you know that?" 😊

your crashes are ANOTHER ISSUE....... however there is no doubt that your fan is kaput

Oct 10, 2013 10:55 AM in response to MellonCollie-

First open the MBP and inspect the interior, especially the fans. Run an Apple Hardware Test.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

You may have to use OPTION and D keys to start it.

MellonCollie- wrote:

CPU temp: around 40-60°c

Fans: around 2000 rpm

The above are normal values.

The fans can be replaced independent of the logic board. I find you resellers advice suspicious.

It is not likely that the crashes are attributable to the fans. Next time a crash occurs, copy the crash report and post it.

Ciao.

Oct 10, 2013 10:59 AM in response to MellonCollie-

Sounds like your fan(s) has a warped spindle which can cause blades to break or wear on the side, it also could be the result of a object or dust.

The machine is not getting cooled properly and if this has gone on for some time then the damage is irreversible.

Fans can be replaced and the cooling fins cleaned, this is the cheap route to go first, then if the hardware problems continue it's likely best to buy a new machine instead.

The graphics card is the hottest item, it tends to go first when not cooled or overheating.

Mac's need a occassional internal cleaning, but nobody or even Apple I think even does it. 😟

What you should consider having done:

1: Cleaning inside of the machine of dust

One can greatly extend the usable life of their computer if the dust is routinely cleaned out of the machine, especially the cooling fins where it gets clogged at.

Inquire with Apple or Apple Authorized Repair about having the dust cleaned out of the machine at least once a year and determining from that how often to have it done.

Do not open the machine unless it's one of those machines that are user service allowed or you will void your AppleCare/warranty.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1133219/dustkills.html

Oct 10, 2013 11:09 AM in response to MellonCollie-

MellonCollie- wrote:

Thanks! I'll have a look at the fans, then do a hardware test and let you know the results...

It's making noise, it's broken.

Take it in for a fan replacement and have the cooling fins (behind the fans) cleaned.

Still have trouble? Consider the logicboard replacement.

If Apple only offers a logicboard replacement (includes fans) and it's too costly for a older machine (older than 3 years), then buy a new one.

Transfer your data or backup beforehand.

My computer is not working, is my personal data lost?

Most commonly used backup methods

Oct 10, 2013 11:43 AM in response to ds store

I've looked inside and it didn't seem very dusty at all in there. The fans spin "freely", but are still making the same noise once I turn on the pc.

If you're sure they're broken I'll go replace them, cause I can't stand this noise. And if turns out the graphics card is broken I think I'll raplace it later (don't have much money now)... And, a new logicboard is just about 1/3 as much of a whole new Macbook.

Oct 10, 2013 11:53 AM in response to MellonCollie-

MellonCollie- wrote:

I tried to run the hardware test but nothing happened when I pressed down D...

You need to use your original Applications Install DVD. With that disc already inserted, start your Mac while holding the D key.

Your Mac cannot use the Internet version of AHT.

Apple Hardware Test is insufficient to diagnose the Intermittent black screen or loss of video problem and is likely to indicate "no trouble found". Apple has a specific diagnostic procedure for the problem. This is not something you can fix yourself.

Oct 10, 2013 12:02 PM in response to John Galt

Do you think the graphics card is what needs to be replaced then? Too bad the guys at my Apple reseller keep telling me to get a new logicboard after they ran the official test for "Intermittent black screen or loss of video" twice. They say this is the only way to prove the error... 😟

Well, for now I only want the Macbook to be quiet, and replacing the fans seem to be the best thing to do next.

Oct 10, 2013 12:16 PM in response to MellonCollie-

As far as I know Apple has continued to replace logic boards on your MacBook Pro model at no charge, provided their diagnostic procedure confirms that the GPU problem is the cause.

When you asked about this problem some time ago this was my response:

... you absolutely have the exact model MacBook Pro and the exact error that is known to plague it. I would be very suspicious of the "Apple Premium Reseller's" conclusion that your Mac is not affected by this problem.

You replied:

I think the reseller just compared the computer's serial number to the ones affected.

That is not sufficient to conclude your MacBook Pro is not affected. Stand your ground, get another opinion from another authorized Apple service provider (not including the many opinions you have already received here) and get it fixed. This is not something you can fix yourself. You are only likely to break something else, giving Apple justification to refuse warranty service.

Oct 10, 2013 12:50 PM in response to John Galt

I sent a mail to the reseller in my hometown for a second opinion.

I don't think all they did was comparing the S/N, but they mentioned something about it. They said they ran some kind of official test two times without results. Do you know if they use the same test everywhere to locate this error? I mean, if this is the one and only test for checking it, I don't think they'd lie about the result. Even if the symptoms seem to match this well, couldn't it be something else?

Oct 10, 2013 1:19 PM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

MellonCollie- wrote:

I tried to run the hardware test but nothing happened when I pressed down D...

You need to use your original Applications Install DVD. With that disc already inserted, start your Mac while holding the D key.

Your Mac cannot use the Internet version of AHT.

The OP I believe has a 2010 MBP. I tested on my 2010 MBP, both on the Snow Leopard partition and the Mt. Lion partition and both times the MBP would bring up the AHT holding down the D key. It did take over a minute to bring it up on the Mt. Lion partition whereas the Snow Leopard partition was about 10-15 seconds. Perhaps a little more patience is necessary.

Ciao.

My suggestion for the AHT was sriclty to see if the fans were faulty.

Macbook Pro grinding fan noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.