Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playlist tranfer via Home Sharing

iTunes 11.1.1

When I use homesharing to copy tunes to my MacBook Pro, it doesn't copy the playlists.

I tried selecting the playlist, and it did copy, but that creating duplicate tunes.

Suggestions appreciated.

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2014 5:51 AM

Ok, so there is a solution to getting playlists from one home share computer to another, but it seems this is missing the whole point of HOME sharing, why should one have to export playlists from the shared computer and import them to the sharing computer... are we not sharing.. and within a home network... surely sharing playlists within Home Sharing would be an obvious part of the entire concept... I'm at HOME with multiple computers sharing things.... why do i need to export/import playlists... every time i change it one one computer I have to go through all the rest an update them.. Not really sharing my Home itunes... ohhh you're in another room on a different device.. I'll only share the songs in the Library, surely you're not interested in utilizing the playlists you've created!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2014 5:51 AM in response to soulartist

Ok, so there is a solution to getting playlists from one home share computer to another, but it seems this is missing the whole point of HOME sharing, why should one have to export playlists from the shared computer and import them to the sharing computer... are we not sharing.. and within a home network... surely sharing playlists within Home Sharing would be an obvious part of the entire concept... I'm at HOME with multiple computers sharing things.... why do i need to export/import playlists... every time i change it one one computer I have to go through all the rest an update them.. Not really sharing my Home itunes... ohhh you're in another room on a different device.. I'll only share the songs in the Library, surely you're not interested in utilizing the playlists you've created!

Jan 12, 2017 5:44 PM in response to Metta108

What do you think Steve Jobs would say about this one! I think it would be, whoever designed this is fired.

I have a new iMac 21"! I should be happy but my beautiful Lacie LightScribe DVD burner sitting next to it is no longer supported by Apple on OS El Capitan, so both no way to plug the drive into the 2017 iMac and no software to run it if I could. But wait! I have a PowerBook G4 sitting next to it running Leopard which still has the Lacie driver software on it and will burn LightScribe disks! And I can still plug the Lacie Lightscribe labeler/burner into the PowerBook G4! Problem solved! I bought the drive... I bought the LightScribe software... I can share my music... that I bought from iTunes! I can burn it on the PowerBook G4!.... not really.

Turning on sharing did allow me to display and play the music on the PowerBook, but Apple has programmed iTunes so you can't drag and drop a playlist from the shared music into the sharing library! What!!!? So I can export a playlist, email a playlist, import a playlist.... but drag and drop shared music... that I bought... no longer works?

Well, I'll just try to burn the shared list from the menu options directly... nope. Not an option.

So, I bought all this music.. from iTunes. I own it (I can burn it). I can play it on my iMac... I can play it on my PowerBook.... but I can't burn it on a CD any more and play it in the car unless I do this convoluted procedure of sending it to myself via email.... export, email, import... and make every computer have a different library than my main one?

Fail.... again. I own the music and I am prevented by Apple from simple transfer between computers. Awful.

Oct 12, 2013 10:02 AM in response to soulartist

Hello soulartist,

Thank you for providing the details of the issue you are experiencing when trying to transfer your playlists. You can transfer your music using Home Sharing, but you will have to take the additional step of exporting and importing your playlists to add them to your MacBook Pro:

Transferring playlists

If you want not only your content but also your playlists to exist on your new computer, you will want to transfer a copy of all your playlists from your old computer. To do this, choose File > Library > Export Library on your old computer. Save the XML file that is created to your desktop.

Send the playlists file to yourself as an e-mail attachment, use an external drive, or use file sharing to move the playlists file to your new computer. Once the file is on your new computer, open iTunes and choose File > Library> Import Playlist. The import process will remove any items from the playlists that you didn't share via Home Sharing.

You can find this in the section titled "Home Sharing" in the following article:

iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

May 18, 2015 6:52 PM in response to soulartist

That's a helpful solution, but I agree with a previous comment: what's the point of having "home sharing" if the computers can't talk/share via bluetooth or wifi? I don't need a home sharing option if I'm going to export files and transfer by device to another computer. That's not a special sharing option. That's just using a computer the same way we have been since floppies.

Apr 28, 2016 12:11 AM in response to soulartist

Hi Folks

Searching online for an answer to the same question.

I came up with an easier solution.

With home sharing turned on one can navigate to your playlists on your original computer.

Highlight the first song on the playlist and then SELECT ALL under edit.

At the bottom righthand side there is an option for IMPORT.

Click IMPORT and the main window shows the files being copied.

Navigate in iTunes back to your computer. You will see the songs copying over.

Once they are copied you highlight them and select New Playlist from selection.

Note its important to click sort by date added in order to group the new imported songs together.

Rename the playlist as its named in your original computer.

Playlist tranfer via Home Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.