Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive not showing its full capacity

Hi

I had a Toshiba canvio 3TB hard drive connected to my imac permanently(not used as Time machine back up at the time although it did have backups from when it WAS used)) and noticed today that it wasn't showing up at all.To cut a long story short it turns out the "caddy" which it was in wasn't working so after much difficulty I managed to remove it from the case.I put it into an external hard drive reader and it shows up in my finder but NOW I only have 801GB of storage on this 3TB hard drive.

I plugged the hard drive reader into a windows pc and again it only shows 801GB.

Is there a way to get this back?The part of the hard drive that IS available works perfectly ok so I'm guessing the hard drive isn't corrupt.

Please helpUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 1:12 PM

14 replies

Oct 10, 2013 11:41 PM in response to BDAqua

Sorry I don't understand what u mean.I'm not that technically minded I'm afraid.All I can tell you is that the toshiba caddy which had the original hd in doesn't work.I even put another drive in it which I KNOW works and that didn't read it either.

The issue I have now is I can't understand where 2TB of storage has disappeared to

Nov 22, 2013 3:45 PM in response to petersiva

Hi there:

I'm helping a friend who just experienced the exact same thing as you, petersiva: Had the 3TB external Toshiba permanently attached to his iMac for over a year with no issues, then one day it wouldn't show up.

Today we pried apart the Toshiba case (not easy!), took out the drive, dropped it in a similar device to the one you have, and it showed up, but asked to initialise, which we did not do, of course. Attached it to Mac and Windows computers and it shows up as a 801GB and 746GB (blank) partitions on both. And of course, there are pictures he wants that are no where else.

Did you ever get a resolution to this? A partial run of TestDisk shows bad paritions and PhotoRec wasn't able or would not recover any files, wouldn't even acknowledge any sub-files after identifying only the 801GB/746GB drives.

Ubuntu wouldn't even see the drive.

Just curious if/how you resolved this and if you have any pearls of wisdom. Help!

Thanks for reading.

Nov 22, 2013 4:17 PM in response to petersiva

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Too bad you couldn't get your info off of it.

I think I just came up with why we're getting the 801GB/746GB instead of the 3TB using the SATA to USB adapter. I just assumed it would handle ALL larger drives. Not so, website says it can handle UP TO 2TB drives.

Thankfully I bought a real external drive enclosure that says it's good for drives up to 4TB, so back to his house to try that.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Nov 24, 2013 12:55 PM in response to Seadee

As I suspected above, it was the USB to SATA adapter I was using that had a drive-size limit. My adapter (a Kingwin Model #EZD-2535) has a 2TB limit (which I didn't no since it's no where on the box, only on the website, so the drive was see as 800GB/746GB, not the full 3TB.

Bought an external case (that you have to screw the drive into) that is capable of 3TB and above (Purex U3PD/S from MicroCenter, but you can probably get it online).

Plugged it into a computer running Ubuntu from CD and voila! was able to see the full 3TB and all the files.

So check the drive-size capabilities of your replacement external cases or USB to SATA converters. Would have saved me a few hours. Hope this does for you.

Nov 27, 2013 11:58 AM in response to Seadee

Spelling police: "which I didn't know* (not no) 😊

Also, to be clear, I ran Ubuntu because I didn't have access to a Mac at the time and I was anxious to see if the full 3TB could be accessed. So in this case, the Toshiba Canvio case was at fault, the drive itself was fine and could later be accessed by Mac without further work.

External hard drive not showing its full capacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.