Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I buy this Macintosh Plus?

I didn't know where-else to put this so, anyway just search "new boxed apple Macintosh plus" on eBay to see it (there is only one) Please reply if you think I should or should not get this.

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 12:49 PM

4 replies

Oct 10, 2013 12:52 PM in response to MacintoshGuy101

What's included: Original shipping box, plastic-wrapped new computer, plastic wrapped new keyboard, plastic wrapped new mouse. "Open me first" folder with papers and getting-started disks. Shrink-wrapped box ("Open me second") containing manuals, applications, disks, etc. (See below for detailed condition info.) Circa 1988.

Want a vintage Mac for display? This Mac Plus is one of the Platinum-colored models; the platinum color still looks great to modern eyes, unlike the time-yellowed beiges of the earlier 128k/512k plastic. A small point, but this machine looks fantastic as well as showing off the landmark design.

Want a vintage Mac for actual use? This is the last of the compact Macs with the original design case, has a whole 1MB, and is compatible with the most software of any of the original compacts. The Mac Plus can run all the way up through System 7.

The applications box is still sealed, but this model should come with MacPaint, MacWrite, and HyperCard. More info on the model can be found in the article here. This compact Mac shares the same acclaimed design with the first models. It's a visible part of the history of the personal computer revolution. It almost certainly contains Steve Job's (and the Mac team's) signatures embossed inside the plastic case, but of course I haven't verified.

Condition notes:

Computer plastic is still sealed with tape. Screen glass looks new, case shows no plastic aging/yellowing at all. There's a yellow transport disk visible in the 800k drive. Inside the sealed plastic (esp floating around at the bottom) is visible some material and streaking on the bag-- it's possible that this may be sprinkled out corrosion evidence from the replaceable battery (which would be always expected with an unopened Mac like this). If you open the computer for use, some cleaning/battery replacement may be required. Gentle spot dabbing may be needed where the corrosion (?) bits have touched the case, but case is otherwise pristine platinum.

Keyboard, mouse are both in taped plastic. Programmer's Switch in a labeled baggie (neat) next to power cord.

The "Open Me First" folder/packet has been opened, but its contents are intact. It contains a setup guide, three disks, and a neat "thanks" sheet with a photo of the Mac team! (See photo). This appears a little wrinkled. The much heftier "Open me second" box is sealed.

Box is sturdy and in very good (but not pristine) shape. Good white color. Some staining and marking; looks like it was probably just in an e.g. garage for a while. One short side has original shipping stickers (including a cool old Federal Express one). Styrofoam is all present. Some bits are cracked, but it's structurally sound. Some minor dust and dirt in some crevices of the styrofoam (again, just looks like from storage).

I have (obviously) not opened any of the components. Therefore nothing here has been tested, and nothing is guaranteed. Although I believe the machine should function, it is a vintage electronics item, and because it's being sold as boxed, new, and collectible, I will not accept returns if you decide to unseal it and find that for some reason it doesn't behave as expected.

Should I buy this Macintosh Plus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.