Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleted some items in open ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

Hi, I was trying to edit this file as my cursor was acting slow in terminal and vim apps and I saw that you could edit this file to fix that. I hit the minus sign on a few items and I thought it would collapse the group instead it looks like it deleted items. What can I do to restore this? Will this effect me the next time I logout / in? I have used linux for several years but am a mac newbie running OS X mountain lion on a mac book pro.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 3:16 PM

11 replies

Oct 10, 2013 7:20 PM in response to bjackfly

Doesn;t vim make a backup of the file while editing? Next time make sure you make a copy so you can always go back to what it was before editing and think twice before doing stuff like this. Most of what you read will either have no effect or have a negative effect on the system.

As for your current situation, fortunately you didn;t mess up anything to vital. As long as the structure of the file is still OK the worst you'll encounter is that you account will behave as it did when it was first made. Some settings might be lost depending on what you blew away.

good luck

deleted some items in open ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.