5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2013 4:36 PM by turingtest2
tigerfish313 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Currently, when I view the albums, they are all broken up if the artist name is slightly different for any songs (for example, soundtracks and guest artists). Is there any way to change the way this appears without having to go through my entire album and change each one individually? I know I can change the views in my library and sort by album that way to listen, but when I sync my iPod, I can't sync by artist name, or the songs with other artists don't show up, even if the album artist is specified as just that one person. And when I try to sync using the album section, it still splits the albums, which means that for a soundtrack album, there's a separate album presented for each song, and they're nowhere near each other. Is there any way at all to organize it differently, or do I just have to suck it up and go through all of my albums individually?

iPod nano, Windows Vista
  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (56,480 points)
  • tigerfish313 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you for the information. It was basically what I expected, so it looks like I'll just have to go through all of the albums individually unless anyone else knows of another way.

Pretty much... You can edit common properties of an album together with multi track get info. Setting a common Album Artist will fix most splits. The article lists most of the other problems I've come across and their workarounds. The Songs view with the column browser and artwork activated is a good view for tidying things as you can work systematically through the album titles selected in the top section and check they are displayed neatly in the area below.

tt2

• tigerfish313 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I just switched everything in the song view when they were sorted by album. And to give it my own little touch, all of the albums that were collections with different artists, I named the album artist Various, and all of the soundtracks, I named the album artist Soundtrack, so it would be a little bit more simple to find stuff when syncing. It took quite some time, but not as much as I was dreading! it still all shows up under different artists on my iPod, but the albums stay together, so I just play it that way.

For the Various Artist albums also set Part of a compilation as Yes (you can do it in one edit from the Options tab) then on the device enable Compilations somewhere in the menus.

tt2