Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete the Other yellow section in Storage

I had about 190 GB of Other which suddenly appeared a while ago. I was able to control it a little through OmniDiskSweeper, OnyX and cleaning/optimizing for a while (I have a late 2011 MBP kept pretty clean and never had this Other stuff before). But still, despite the cleaning, I had about 180 GB and it never went any lower than that...

Then I realized I'd never (apart from OnyX telling me the disk status had to be fixed) repaired the HD/permissions. I thought it may be due to that, so I used the Disk Utily application to verify and repair both permission and HD, came out permissions were all messed up and the HD itself had issues too. As soon as it was repaired the Other was gone.

This is just to help all of those people who have been wondering/trying, with no success, to delete/reduce the Other section in their HD storage. Because I'd never read anywhere that the solution could be to just run Disk Utility. I don't know if it works for everyone, if I was just lucky, no idea... But it did the thing for me! I can finally transfer all of my audio back from the external mobile HD I was forced to purchase a while ago. 🙂

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 2:05 AM

Dear applewarm,

I just wanted to tell you how much of a legend, god and genisus you are.

I have been searching for almost a year on how to fix this problem and this worked straight away...

Thank you so so so so much

Campbell

Ps, I only created this account so I could thank you. I will Facebook this to all my friends who have the same problem

Thanks again

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2013 2:05 AM in response to applewarm

Dear applewarm,

I just wanted to tell you how much of a legend, god and genisus you are.

I have been searching for almost a year on how to fix this problem and this worked straight away...

Thank you so so so so much

Campbell

Ps, I only created this account so I could thank you. I will Facebook this to all my friends who have the same problem

Thanks again

Sep 1, 2017 6:09 AM in response to becky.g

becky.g wrote:

How do you do the tests, I can't seem to get them to work... I have a total of 256GB on my mac but 243.7GB is taken up by the anonymous "other" section.

See "What is 'Other' and What Can I Do About It?"

<https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5142>

Also see Time Machine Local Snapshots: <http://pondini.org/TM/30.html>

OmniDiskSweeper (free download)

<http://www.omnigroup.com/more>

When using OmniDiskSweeper, or any utility that shows all your files... See the following article if you want to run it as root

<http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how_to_recover_missing_hard_drive_space>

Boiler Plate Warnings:

If you have a recurring, running out of disk space, problem, then OmniDiskSweeper may help identify where the space is going. Posting the suspected locations and files will help the forum help you to figure it out. Remember, we cannot see into your disk, you have to give us information to work with.

DO NOT delete files in your Home Folder -> Library tree as there are things like your iPhone backups, your email messages, your application preferences, etc… If you think you have found something in your Home Folder -> Library that can be deleted, you should ask first.

DO NOT delete files outside your home folder, as you may end up deleting something essential to macOS, and turn your Mac into an expensive “Door Stop”.

I will point out that you will find some very large files in private -> var -> vm (these are the macOS virtual memory paging files (swapfiles) and where macOS stores the copy of RAM when your Mac is put to sleep). The swapfile(s) get deleted on reboot, and the sleep image is just going to be created again when you put your Mac to sleep.

If you think you have found something to delete outside your home folder, it would be best to ask first before deleting. There are many examples of people deleting files outside their home folder, or renaming files, or changing the ownership or file permissions, and then their Mac stops running. Do not be one of those people. Ask first.

Jul 11, 2014 5:03 PM in response to lavrentis21

hey, you probably worked it out now but ill say it anyway for others who dont know, go to the search bar on the top left of your mac screen, then search for disk utility, from there it will come up with your macintosh drive, click it and then select the tab which says "first aid" , make sure youve selected that tab, and then click repair disk, mine took about two hours

hope this helped, good luck

Sep 23, 2014 1:21 AM in response to Wolfface3

Did you run the Disk Utility for your Macintosh HD? You need to check both disk and permissions, and then repair both. If you do have a lot in the Other section, it is most likely that you have some corrupted stuff on your HD, and will have to repair something. So after you run the check, chances are will be told you need to repair... And it should at least reduce the GB's you see in the Other section, I don't see how they can stay the same. :/

Sep 23, 2014 1:25 AM in response to Nauttillus

Wouldn't know, it depends on what it is that you have in that Other section, but unfortunately it's not really possible to physically "see" what those files are and where. I myself have found that Other is due to disk and permissions issues, corrupted files, and so on...and in my case fixing those removed the Other section. At times I still get some GB's, but I don't really mind as long as it's not too much space taken up. 22 is not much, if you have enough space left then I wouldn't worry. Problem is when you get it fully yellow and it takes up all of your hard disk, or nearly.

Feb 28, 2015 12:02 PM in response to cherryontop

I have the same issue as Cherryontop

In "About This Mac" it says I'm using about 230gigs and my My "other " storage reports about 139g, but when I do Omnidisk sweeper it only says I'm using about 100 gigs of storage. Huge discrepancy.

I've run disk doctor and checked the permissions several times. It did make some repairs but the Other storage remains the same and now it's not reporting any issues.

Also, I've been running the Disk Diag App to clear space, but it doesn't make any gains toward the 139g

Any suggestions?

How to delete the Other yellow section in Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.