Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i set up airport express to connect with StarHub Huawei HG8040 ONT?

I have an airport express connected to StarHub's Huawei HG 8040 ONT under MazInfinity fibre plan. There is wifi signal but internet isn't working when connected to the signal. StarHub suipport informed me i need to set up my airport express 'on apple websit' - how do i do that?

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 8:37 PM

5 replies

Oct 10, 2013 8:51 PM in response to Wee13

I think they just mean .. "Look up the apple website for the setup.. because we don't know. It is your router and your problem.. just go away"

(Aprox translation).

Apple routers do not even use Web activated setup or a web interface.. so the comment is meaningless.

I looked up the HG8040 but I am seeing loads of rubbish.. tell me how many lan ports does it have.. if 4 ports.. then it is likely a router.

If you plug a computer directly into the HG8040, do you get a private IP address.. ie 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x. or similar.. then it is a router.

Simply select bridge mode for the express.

User uploaded file

The set the wireless to create a wireless network and put whatever name you like in for it.

Oct 11, 2013 10:14 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for replying. Tried your method but it didn't work. The Huawei has 4 ports and and gives a private IP address so i think it is a modem + router. i use the airport express for wireless. When i set the router mode to Bridge nothing works. The only time i have managed to get it to work is if use the following steps (which i discovered by accident!):

1. connect huawei direct to mac-mini (turned on) - airport express is only connected to power at this pont

2. disconnect mac-mini from huawei and connect airport express instead (the ISP has only activated 1 port in huawei for some stupid reason)

When i follow those 2 steps wifi from airport express gives me internet but i can't power down cos the moment i power down my router/modem and start up again i lose my internet connection until i repeat those 2 steps. While it works it feels really silly to hv to do this all the time i power down. I have used other router combo before and never had this problem till i switched to the airport express. Coincidentally i have also switched to fibre bb at the same time.

i am wondering if i hv a faulty airport express since i can't find similar complaints in the internet. Or i am not configuring something right. I am convinced the huawei is working fine as i did not have the same problem when it was paired with a d-link wireless router before i bought the airport express,

Oct 11, 2013 11:55 PM in response to Wee13

What I have suggested has to work.. it cannot not work.. unless it is faulty.. when you say it does not work.. I am unclear..

Can you not get it in bridge mode??

If you plug it in by ethernet it doesn't get an IP?

It doesn't transmit a wireless signal?

Please be specific with what doesn't work.

And give me screenshots of everything.. I want to see IP when the bridged expresses is plugged into the huaweit and I want to see the wireless and network setup pages.

Oct 12, 2013 1:00 AM in response to LaPastenague

I changed Router Mode in Network to Off(Bridge Only) (it was previously set to DHCP and NAT) and i still don't get any internet connection. The wireless signal has always been present (i can detect with my iphone and ipad) but the internet doesn't work even though the signal is strong. So when i say it doesn't work i mean the internet doesn't work but the wireless signal was never a problem.

User uploaded file

More screen shots below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

the screen shots below are taken when i i connect the mac mini direct to huawei:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

thanks again for your help

Oct 12, 2013 5:53 AM in response to Wee13

You can see the fault..

DHCP is not able to get an IP from the modem.. That is in the 3rd screen shot.. the IP is self generated.

When you connect the mac mini to the hua wei directly you immediately get a public IP on the express, not a private IP.. your address there is 182.55.105.235

But that is not the address the mini is getting,, so how is the express getting this address.. what has changed??

When you plug in the mini do you have to sign in to a web account to get an IP.. what is the method of authentication.. ??

The express is now in the wrong mode.. it has to be in router.. but the Mini has to be directly connected to handle the authentication. but I am guessing madly.

Please tell me the precise network layout with your later 3 screenshots.. and what IP the mini is getting..

And I am guessing the express and mini are both plugged into the huawei.

How do i set up airport express to connect with StarHub Huawei HG8040 ONT?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.