Skip navigation

RAW-files from Canon G16?

1426 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2013 5:17 PM by roblgs RSS
Ataberg Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 11, 2013 2:36 AM

Hi, I just got a Canon G16 - a high end compact camera - The RAW files generated are not recognized/accepted by Aperture 3 (updated). There are no problems with other RAW files e.g. from my Canon 7D. Same problem on all my computers -e.g. I-MAC and Mc Book Pro

Any suggestions?

Aperture 3
  • léonie Level 8 Level 8 (46,475 points)
    Oct 11, 2013 3:50 AM (in response to Ataberg)

The Canon EOS G16 is not yet supported by Aperture - it is rather new.

See the list of currently supported cameras.

Apple - Aperture - Technical Specifications - RAW Support

Regards

Léonie

You may want to shoot raw+jpeg while you are waiting for the raw support to be released and work with the jpeg as original files. You can switch later to the raw files.

• roblgs Calculating status...
    Nov 13, 2013 7:18 AM (in response to Ataberg)

Hi,

G16 import is now available with the latest Camera RAW update (13 Nov, 2013)...

I can confirm that .cr2 images are now recognised and imported, but there's a caveat... image proportions are distorted.

I have a number of raw+jpegs shot in 16:9 proportion. The jpeg imports fine with correct proportions.

The raw version includes the bits of the image that are cropped out when creating the 16:9 framing, but the image is still displayed at 16:9 in aperture, so looks squeezed as a result. Image dimensions are reported as being the same between jpeg and RAW, even though the RAW contains more area from the subject.

It's like aperture knows it is a 16:9 image, but then doesn't apply the crop, but instead re-scales the whole uncropped image area to fit within 16:9 format. Whatever's going on, it's wrong!

Curiously, thumbnails from RAW files in the finder are cropped correctly, showing exactly the same image and proportions as the jpeg. iPhoto also seems to get it right. This suggests it to be a bug in aperture rather than the importer itself...

Cheers

Rob

Rob

• Keith Barkley Level 5 Level 5 (5,140 points)
    Nov 13, 2013 7:24 AM (in response to roblgs)

Send feedback to Apple.

• léonie Level 8 Level 8 (46,475 points)
    Nov 13, 2013 7:36 AM (in response to roblgs)

As Keith Barkley said - send feedback.

Use the form: http://www.apple.com/feedback/aperture.html

• roblgs Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 13, 2013 3:52 PM (in response to léonie)

Done that.

The above was to see if anyone else is having the same issue, or whether it is just me.

• Owen A Level 2 Level 2 (215 points)
    Nov 14, 2013 2:10 PM (in response to Ataberg)

Looks like this camera is supported in Digital Camera RAW 5.01

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1706?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

• Keith Barkley Level 5 Level 5 (5,140 points)
    Nov 14, 2013 2:16 PM (in response to Owen A)

Owen, did you bother to read the thread? The issue was not support, but a bad raw conversion when using the G16's 16:9 mode.

• Owen A Level 2 Level 2 (215 points)
    Nov 14, 2013 2:52 PM (in response to Keith Barkley)

Sorry I missed that it turned from support to an issue of the RAW decode.

• TheSnapDude Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Nov 14, 2013 3:40 PM (in response to Ataberg)

Aperture update just got released today by Apple.  Perform a software update on your mac and the raw files will be compatible!

Nov 14, 2013 4:59 PM (in response to TheSnapDude)

Not sure what you mean by compatible... here, following updating Aperture and re-importing a sample .cr2 file from the G16 it still displays with the same distortion of its proportions.

Nov 14, 2013 5:17 PM (in response to roblgs)

Here's what's happening

jpeg import on the left, RAW import on the right... shot as RAW + Jpg

Voila_Capture240.jpg

Notice the extra coverage left and right in the RAW, but crammed into the same image dimensions as the correctly imported jpeg.

The finder gets this RAW conversion right, so too does iPhoto... only Aperture 3.5.1 is broken.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.