Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

white screen after waking up from hibernate (standby)

I have a problem with my iMac (intel): after waking up from hibernate (stanby) the screen is white and only the menu bar on the top is seen. There is no reaktion if I click on the desktop. Only if I start an application (only possible from the menu) the application is shown. Around the application the desktop is still white. If I move the application window to the left or right the desktop is shown on the area where the window has been.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 1:36 AM

5 replies

Oct 11, 2013 1:49 AM in response to Rayek

Try a Safe Mode boot. That deletes some system caches that may help.

Startup your Mac in Safe Mode

A Safe Mode boot takes much longer than a normal boot so be patient.

Once you are in Safe Mode, click Restart from the Apple () menu.

If you can't boot in Safe Mode, startup your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys. From there you should be able to access the built in utilities in OS X Recovery to repair the startup disk.

Read before proceeding > About OS X Recovery

Oct 12, 2013 4:41 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you for your responce. I tried the Safe Mode Boot but it didn't help. I still have the issue with the white screen. I don't get the problem every time, but aproximatly every third time I start from the hibernate status, but it is still very annoying, and I am afraid that something is wrong with the machine.

Oct 12, 2013 5:28 AM in response to Rayek

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS. You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need your backup unless something goes wrong. If your Mac was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you’ll need the Apple ID and password you used to upgrade.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it.

white screen after waking up from hibernate (standby)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.