Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Mail Search after upgrade to OSX 10.8.5 build 12F45

Yesterday I upgraded my Mac OSX to the newest version: OSX 10.8.5 and the Mail program was at the same time upgraded to ver. 6.6 (1510). After the upgrade I the search function do not work propperly. When I do a search I only get a few hits, even what I search for is in my mailbox. As I can se all my old mails are in the mailbox but I cant get the search function to find all items I search for.

Seems that the index is not 100%

Can you help me.

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 3:11 AM

1 reply

Oct 11, 2013 2:03 PM in response to thorkil

Quit Mail. Force quit if necessary.

Back up all data. That means you know you can restore the Mail database, no matter what happens.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Envelope Index

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return.

A Finder window will open with a file selected. Move the selected file to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Other files in the folder may have names that begin with "Envelope Index". Move those files, if any, to the Trash.

Log out and log back in. Relaunch Mail. It should prompt you to re-import your messages. You may get a warning that the index is damaged and that Mail has to quit. Click OK.

Test. If Mail now works as expected, you can delete the file you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, post your results.

Problems with Mail Search after upgrade to OSX 10.8.5 build 12F45

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.