Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable pinch gesture in Safari

Is there a way to disable the pinch gesture to "zoom out" and see the tabs in safari?

I find that it gets activated very easily when using the trackpad and keeps showing me the tabs. I prefer to use CMD+SHIFT+\ for that.

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 2:58 AM

8 replies

Mar 19, 2017 9:56 AM in response to marianmi

Somebody on AskDifferent suggested using BetterTouchTool to modify Safari's pinch gestures, but I can't seem to get it to prevent the pinch-in gesture without also preventing any pinch-out action (i.e., preventing the Show All Tabs action also prevents me from zooming in on webpages), and I certainly can't achieve my ideal, which would be to be able to zoom in and out freely on webpages without ever triggering the Show All Tabs action.

Maybe there's another piece of software that could fix what Apple screwed up?

(And thank you to the OP for pointing out Command-Shift-\ - I didn't know about that shortcut and will definitely use it if I ever want to see all tabs (which I never do).)

Mar 26, 2017 4:44 AM in response to tygb

Thanks, but if you read the thread you'll see this was the very first suggestion made (it's the first thing everyone tries as a fix for this problem) and rejected as unsatisfactory because it disables pinch-to-zoom system-wide, which nobody wants because pinch-to-zoom is useful in every other respect. The problem is that in Safari - and only in Safari - Apple has folded a second, undesirable function into pinch-to-zoom so that it doesn't just zoom, but pops you into a different mode altogether, unexpectedly interrupting your workflow and concentration. We're looking to put a stop to *that* - not to pinch-to-zoom in general.

Feb 3, 2015 1:08 PM in response to marianmi

Me too... this is actually the reason I can't use Safari as my default browser, despite wanting to. The inadvertent gesture keeps showing all tabs, which is so interruptive and annoying as to drive me away.

I need pinch-zoom in too many other apps to disable it globally. Interestingly, I don't find myself constantly triggering it in those other apps, or if I do, the consequences are so trivial that I don't notice it and it doesn't interrupt by train of though or require a complete cognition reset in the way switching to tabs does.

Safari's interpretation of "zoom out" to include switching from re-scaling content in the current window to going up to tab view is a non-standard one that I'm afraid is just too clever by half. It's a cool idea, but since it's different from all other apps treatment, should be an app-specific preference that can be disabled.

I hope Apple makes this an app option override soon. I grew tired of Firefox's constant craving for additional memory, and would like to get away from the sense that Chrome tracks me in ways that the best blockers can't really seem to stop. But I'm accepting both of those over this aggravating window behavior.

Disable pinch gesture in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.