Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro sleeps after being woken up by WOL

Hi Folks

In order to wake up my Mac Pro on demand, I have set up Wake Over LAN (WOL) over the network and enabled "wake for network access" at System Preferences > Energy Saver on the Mac Pro. Now I am able to wake up the machine from my local router or across the Internet, but just wake up for a little while only.

The issue is, after the Mac Pro is being woken up by WOL for about 30 seconds, the machine always goes into sleep mode again for no reason. During the short alive period, the virtual machines running on the Mac Pro are pingable but the monitors are not on and the replaying YouTube video has no audio.

However, if I click the mouse or press the keyboard, the Mac Pro can be woken up as expected: the monitors are powered on, YouTube video is audible, all VMs are pingable too.

Why does my Mac Pro get woken up this way? How to fix it?

Thanks heaps in advance.

Regards,

B

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), Mid 2012

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 4:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 5:22 PM

Depending on the model, WOL may only cause a "dark wake" for the purpose of providing network services. It's not clear why you would need anything else.

37 replies

Oct 12, 2013 4:57 AM in response to bengmugenr

I'm not sure but I think by "dark wake" Linc means what Apple describes in "Bonjour Sleep Proxy." As the link mentions, that briefly wakes your Mac if you have an Apple Airport device or an Apple TV on your network & have Wake on Demand enabled on the Mac.

When Wake on Demand is enabled, while the Mac is asleep about every two hours its Real Time Clock (RTC) will wake it briefly so that it can check in with the Bonjour Sleep Proxy. This is separate from network requests to wake the Mac, like for iTunes sharing or whatever.

Try this: open Console (in Applications > Utilities) to the "All Messages" section. In the filter box at the top right enter (without quotes) "RTC" & look for messages that say "Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)." Any messages like that indicate the Mac's clock has awakened the system, not some network event.

Oct 12, 2013 9:39 AM in response to bengmugenr

bengmugenr wrote:

From the email alert I knew RCR posted a comment to this thread, but it is interesting that I cannot see the comment from here. Anything wrong?

There isn't anything wrong with the messages or your Mac. What is wrong is ASC runs on site hosting software called "Jive" (not made by Apple) that is currently having a lot of problems, among them displaying some replies until long after they have been posted.

The workaround is either to wait a while & check the topic again, or post a new reply to any recent message in the topic, which usually gets the missing ones to show up immediately. (That's why you might see a lot of very short replies in some topics, like just a period or something like "posting to see posts.")

Oct 12, 2013 1:39 PM in response to R C-R

Thanks a lot for the information.

R C-R wrote:

... What is wrong is ASC runs on site hosting software called "Jive" (not made by Apple) that is currently having a lot of problems, among them displaying some replies until long after they have been posted.

The workaround is either to wait a while & check the topic again, or post a new reply to any recent message in the topic, which usually gets the missing ones to show up immediately ...

Oct 13, 2013 6:26 AM in response to bengmugenr

bengmugenr wrote:

The behavior is normal when clicking the mouse or pressing the key to wake the Mac, the issue only occurs when trying to wake via WOL. Never thought the same wake process could have different results.

Please explain specifically how you are trying to WOL, what you want to accomplish by doing so, & how long you think whatever it is you want to accomplish should take.

Also, what VM's are you running & by what method do they run (like via Parallels or whatever).

Oct 14, 2013 12:36 AM in response to R C-R

I checked that Bonjour Sleep Proxy article before. It seems not applicable here as I don't have any this kind of proxy such as Airport Extreme products on my network.

As shown below, I checked "All Messages" and typed "RTC" in the search field and no any log returned. However, I am sure I did often press the keyboard to wake the Mac and did several waking up tests via WOL, so it should be some logs recorded against this.

User uploaded file

R C-R wrote:

I'm not sure but I think by "dark wake" Linc means what Apple describes in "Bonjour Sleep Proxy." As the link mentions, that briefly wakes your Mac if you have an Apple Airport device or an Apple TV on your network & have Wake on Demand enabled on the Mac.

When Wake on Demand is enabled, while the Mac is asleep about every two hours its Real Time Clock (RTC) will wake it briefly so that it can check in with the Bonjour Sleep Proxy. This is separate from network requests to wake the Mac, like for iTunes sharing or whatever.

Try this: open Console (in Applications > Utilities) to the "All Messages" section. In the filter box at the top right enter (without quotes) "RTC" & look for messages that say "Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)." Any messages like that indicate the Mac's clock has awakened the system, not some network event.

Oct 14, 2013 1:29 AM in response to R C-R

> Now I am able to wake up the machine from my local router or across the Internet, but just wake up for a little while only.

From my local router, I use below way to wake up the Mac Pro.

User uploaded file

I can also wake up the Mac this way over the Internet.

User uploaded file

For your information, I can successfully wake up other WOL enabled Windows machines this way on the same network with no problem.

As mentioned, both ways can only wake up the Mac Pro for about 30 seconds, then machine will automatically sleep again though at System Preferences I have set the computer to sleep after "3 hrs" or "never", as shown below.

User uploaded file

What I expect is just to make the Mac Pro back to work the same way like I locally press the keyboard or click the mouse, not to automatically sleep again in seconds.

Any thought please? Thanks!

R C-R wrote:

bengmugenr wrote:

The behavior is normal when clicking the mouse or pressing the key to wake the Mac, the issue only occurs when trying to wake via WOL. Never thought the same wake process could have different results.

Please explain specifically how you are trying to WOL, what you want to accomplish by doing so, & how long you think whatever it is you want to accomplish should take.

Also, what VM's are you running & by what method do they run (like via Parallels or whatever).

Oct 14, 2013 8:12 AM in response to bengmugenr

Just an update - The suggestion from Apple Care Support:

Cache folders that can be emptied

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Inputmanager

~/Library/Inputmethods

~/Library/Launchagents

/Library/Caches

/Library/Input Methods

/Library/Launchagents

/Library/Launchdaemons

/Library/Startupitems

I don't understand why the Sleep Mode is related to the above folders. I also worry about the impact of deleting these folders as I do have heaps of files under /Library/Caches, /Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchDaemons, ~/Library/Caches, ~/Library/LaunchAgents, especially the bold ones.

Any comments please? Thanks in advance.

Oct 14, 2013 8:17 AM in response to bengmugenr

bengmugenr wrote:

As shown below, I checked "All Messages" and typed "RTC" in the search field and no any log returned. However, I am sure I did often press the keyboard to wake the Mac and did several waking up tests via WOL, so it should be some logs recorded against this.

Try searching for "wake reason" instead. You should see lines with "Wake reason:" followed by a code for the device that caused the wake, for example "EHC2" for an "Enhanced Host Controller," which would usually be a keyboard attached to a USB port. (If you filter on "RTC" you would only get wakes caused by the real time clock in the Mac.)

To find the code for the device that does the WOL, do a WOL & note the time, then search in these results for the line with that time stamp. If you find that, what is the code?

Mac Pro sleeps after being woken up by WOL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.