Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my fingerprint access is not working

my fingerprint is not working to unlock my phone

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 5:45 AM

27 replies

Oct 22, 2013 5:52 AM in response to victerrob

I am also having this problem. It works for a little while regularly and then it goes sparatically. It seems to change if i have just washed my hands, or if my hands are cold or dry or whatever, and then sometimes it works fine. I have deleted and rescanned my finger several times. My boyfriend also has the 5S and has no problems. He says Im crazy and he knows several people with this phone and I am the only one with an issue! 😟

Nov 13, 2013 8:29 PM in response to Selena2313

I cannot get my 5s to unlock using my fingerprint reliably. I create a new fingerprint, it works for several times in a row (i lock and unlock my phone) and then it never works again. The weirest part is that my husband can always use his fingerprint to unlock MY phone (we created a fingerprint for him previously)

....literally right after it fails to recognize my fingerprint! What guves?!?!

Dec 2, 2013 1:55 PM in response to victerrob

Having similar issues. I rescan a couple fingers, things work a few times, and then it quickly becomes unreliable. I understand when hands are sweaty or wet or have lotion on them, that it won't work, but it should work during the regular course of a day. I think I've rescanned my prints about 5 times in the past three weeks. I only have 2 fingers (thumbs) scanned. I've tried putting my finger down different ways, and making sure I entirely cover the sensor-- nothing seems to reliably work.

Dec 3, 2013 2:29 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I found the "Notes" under Section 6 helpful in fixing the issues.

1) I did not have enough (more than 2) fingerprints scanned/stored on my phone. After storing multiple fingerprint scans, my issue was fixed.

2) In addition, I also found this link helped me better understand the fingerprint capability. Thus, I understood that simply "pressing on the home button" unlocks the phone. All else, defaults to the passcode. It also explains when the passcode will populate thus "deactivating" the fingerprint option (temporarily).

Mar 1, 2014 10:41 AM in response to obiwon4luke

I lost count of how many times I added/deleted my finger print, changing fingers from left hand to right hand. I feel since this is not working we should be compensated for false advertisment from Apple. I truly believe the finger print is not connecting to the phone and needs to be improved before Apple adds this to another phone. Maybe Apple can take the finger print out of the home button and add it to the side of the home button. My mom has a hospital bed with a remote control and the remote box does not always work when you press the up and down buttons the same way the finger print does not always work on the iPhone 5S. The connections are not meeting the correct spot.

my fingerprint access is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.